University child care proposal takes a step forward

The Faculty Senate has taken another step forward with its plans to provide a childcare facility for faculty and staff at or near St. Edward’s University.

Members of the Faculty Senate’s Childcare Committee met with university Executive Vice President and Provost Sr. Donna Jurick to discuss the plan March 26. This was preceded by months of research, including a survey of 340 St. Edward’s faculty and staff, to see whether the university would benefit from an available childcare facility.

Craig Campbell, associate professor and Faculty Senate representative for New College; Cory Lock, assistant professor and Faculty Senate representative for Undergraduate Programming; and Judy Leavell, dean of the School of Education, said the meeting went well.

“[Jurick’s] response was positive,” said Campbell. “She agreed to present [the proposal] to the administrative team, including Dr. Martin, for further study.”

Campbell said the childcare center’s operational funding would be covered by funds from tuition.

“Dr. Martin told the Faculty Senate in the fall that he would support having a child care center if the financial impact was low,” Campbell said.

“Sr. Donna wanted to determine what might be possible capital outlay costs.  She agreed to keep us informed of next steps.”

Jodi Egerton, assistant professor of English Writing and Rhetoric, has two children under the age of five years old. Egerton said if there were a childcare center on campus, she’d be able to be far more flexible with her availability.

“I spend two hours every day driving between my daughter’s preschool, my son’s childcare and St. Ed’s,” Egerton said. “I arrive on campus usually just minutes before my class starts, and I leave right after my classes end to start the pickup run.”

Egerton also said a childcare center would allow her to be on campus longer.

“I’d have the ability to pop in, have lunch with my kiddos, and nurse my son in between [classes],” Egerton said. “This would allow me to be more easily accessible to students.”

Catherine Rainwater, professor of English Literature and president of Faculty Senate, said an updated report on the childcare proposal is scheduled for April 29.

[email protected]