New college student, Arturo Garcia, killed in motorcycle accident

St. Edward’s University New College student Arturo M. Garcia Jr. was killed in a single vehicle accident Sunday afternoon.

Garcia, 29, was riding his motorcycle on Ranch Road 337 outside of Leakey, a town 100 miles west of San Antonio, when the accident occurred.

“I believe he was traveling faster than the posted speed limit for that area,” said Real County Sheriff Senior Corporal Jake Sanchez. “It is my belief he came around a curve too fast and lost control of the bike when it left the road.”

The posted speed limit was 55 miles-per-hour. The road is considered a popular, but dangerous, destination among motorcyclists, the Leakey Star reports.

Garcia was ejected from his 2007 Triumph Daytona 675 motorcycle and landed between 25 and 50 feet away from his bike, which was lodged seven feet in the air in a tree, Sanchez said.

Officers responded to a 911 call from a passing motorist. Garcia was air-lifted to Peterson Regional Medical Center in Kerrville, where he was pronounced dead at 3:40 p.m. Sunday.

Sanchez stated that preliminary test results indicated that neither alcohol or drugs were a factor in the accident.

Garcia had enrolled in the New College program at St. Edward’s this semester and was studying business. He was a native of Austin who graduated from Westlake High School.

Garcia is survived by his parents, Alice Castro Garcia and Arturo Garcia Sr., his younger sister, Nicole Garcia and his paternal grandfather, Juan Garcia Jr.

[email protected]