Communication professor, former news correspondent Marilyn Schultz dies

A memorial service for Marilyn Schultz, St. Edward’s University associate professor of Communication, will be held Saturday at 10 a.m. at Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel on the St. Edward’s campus.

A reception will follow in the Maloney Room on campus. Schultz died Sunday after a brief illness, she was 64.

Schultz taught a wide variety of communication and journalism courses. She was active in the development of SEU TV and, along with former Assistant Professor Michele Kay, helped to develop the journalism minor. More recently, Schultz worked closely with Assistant Professor Jena Heath to win administration approval for an online edition of Hilltop Views.  

“I think in terms of the community [at St. Edward’s], she’s had an enormous impact on the Communication Department and the communication program,” said Father Louis Brusatti, dean of Humanities, Schultz’s boss, neighbor and close friend.  “She was certainly a unique person.” 

An experienced academic, the native Midwesterner nevertheless held on to her irreverent and, at times, hard-charging, newsroom persona.

Before launching the second chapter of her life as a professor, she had a distinguished career with NBC as a researcher and on-air personality. During her tenure with the network, she was a driving force behind a class action lawsuit against NBC and all of its affiliates that called for equality in opportunity and pay for women.  

“I organized the women at NBC, and ultimately it was a nationwide lawsuit,” said Schultz in a video interview with Kate Rosati, administrative coordinator for the School of Humanities. (To view the video please go below) “The suit took seven years and ultimately made a settlement that opened the door for women in the business.”

Schultz later went on to become head of the broadcast journalism department at the University of Texas before joining the St. Edward’s faculty in 2002.

“She will be someone who will be deeply missed by students, faculty and anyone associated with St. Edward’s University,” said Brusatti. “She will also be missed by her colleagues at [the University of Texas] and I think missed by her colleagues at NBC.”

Schultz was a force in both her discipline and in the Holy Cross community.

“Marilyn, when she first came [to St. Edward’s], was very taken with the Holy Cross story and… because of her background in video, she really wanted to tell that story,” said Sister Donna Jurick, provost. 

Schultz created the video, “Father Basil Moreau: A Legacy of Hope,” which talks about the establishment of the order of Holy Cross. She also visited some of the key places in the history of the Brothers of Holy Cross.  

“I’ve been in her classes and she brought so much energy and knowledge to the subject it was hard not to get excited about it right along with her,” said senior Ashley Yates, who studied under Schultz.

She was well-liked and highly respected by her fellow professors as well as by the students she taught. Many of the Communication faculty commented on the wealth of knowledge she brought from her experiences in New York and Washington D.C.

“Marilyn was so many things, to so many of us,” said Stephanie Poole Martinez, associate professor and area coordinator for Communication. “She was a colleague, a really good friend, and she was a mentor to all of us.” 

Schultz is survived by her two sisters, Sandra Moberly, of Bloomington, Ind., and Cheryl Grove, of San Diego, Calif, one niece, Wendy Irvine, of Chicago, Ill., four nephews, Matt Grove, of San Diego, Calif., Justin Grove, of Austin, Garrett Grove, of Sunnyvale, Calif., Charles Weddle, of Indianapolis, Ind.; and two great nephews, Charlie and Grant Irvine, of Chicago, Ill.

Those wishing to make gifts in Schultz’s memory may send them to:

Marilyn Schultz Memorial Fund

St. Edward’s University

University Advancement

3001 S. Congress Ave.

Austin, TX 78704

For questions or more information, please contact Anne Westdyke, director of development, at (512) 492-3147.

Marilyn R. Schultz from hilltopviews on Vimeo.