Volleyball captures Heartland Conference Title

The St. Edward’s University women’s volleyball team clinched the Heartland Conference title after defeating St. Mary’s University 3-1 on Saturday, Nov. 7. “When we started the season, one of our major goals was to win the conference and have the chance to bring the conference tournament to St. Edward’s,” Head Coach Sean Donahue said. “It is great to see the players earn something they have worked very hard for.” Claiming the conference title will allow the St. Edward’s volleyball team (21-10, 12-2 HC) to host the Heartland Conference tournament this weekend. The team’s first game in the tournament will be Friday, Nov. 13 at 5 p.m. and if the Hilltoppers win, they will move on to their next round on Saturday, Nov. 14 at 5 p.m. “It feels great,” sophomore Courtney Trevino said. “We are very excited about it and are looking forward to hosting the conference [tournament] here in our home gym. It’s been a great regular season, and we can’t wait to get our post season going.” Donahue said that because the team’s region, the South Central Region, is very tough with seven teams being ranked nationally, a national appearance comes down to winning the Heartland Conference tournament. The team tried to claim the conference title on Thursday, Nov. 5 when the Hilltoppers played the University of the Incarnate Word (24-8, 11-3 HC). However, the Hilltoppers ended up losing in a five-set match, 25-22, 23-25, 25-23, 13-15. After a four-game losing streak, the Hilltoppers were glad to put a win on the board. The team beat St. Mary’s in a four-set match, 25-19, 23-25, 25-20 and 25-21. “It’s an amazing feeling; words can’t describe how it feels to know all of our team’s hard work is paying off,” junior Pam Osborn said. Leading the attack was freshman Meredith Bard and Trevino both with 11 kills each. Following was freshman Ale’tra Ware with nine kills and sophomore Lindy Luleff with eight. Sophomore Chelsea Barsamian contributed a game-high 24 assists while senior Allison Ralston tallied 22. Freshman Michelle Hundt led the defense with 20 digs and sophomore Ashley Vander Hey and Trevino each contributed nine. Donahue said that it is not one thing, but a combination of factors that led the Hilltoppers to a successful season. “The whole team from the starters to role players all the way to our manager have a great work ethic and that goes a long way in anything in life,” Donahue said. “One other factor I see is the ladies have a strong belief in the systems we run and the team concept. They all get along with each other, which is one of those intangibles you can’t measure. Finally, the one thing that makes this team fun to be around, which helps in their success, is that they are all very positive people.” The team will be playing one more match before the Heartland Conference tournament. The Hilltoppers are set to face Huston-Tillotson University on Nov. 10 at 7 p.m. This will be the last regular season match at home and the Hilltoppers will be honoring seniors Ralston and Lizzy Lepore at the match.