Police failure to prioritize LGBT community underscores deeper issues of homophobia and racism

Canadian police found a seventh body on Monday.

GabRendon

Canada has always been known as the friendly and accepting cousin of the U.S. Only recently did it become legal for same-sex couples to marry in the U.S., while Canada legalized same-sex marriage in 2005. Homosexual activity only became legal in 2003 for the U.S., but it has been a legal and supported activity in Canada since 1969. With this in mind, the recent attacks on the gay villages in Canada are startling, but the lack of urgency from Canadian law enforcement is even more so.

The man in question for these attacks, Bruce McArthur, is a suspected serial killer. The 66-year-old worked most of his life as a landscaper and, for a short time, as a mall Santa in the Toronto area. The LGBT community in Toronto think the police do not do enough investigation on cases involving missing men. This is not the first time members of their community have gone missing or were found dead. They feel that their community, especially their members of color, are victims of systemic abuse.

The members of the LGBT community worldwide have been under attack for too long. Law enforcement was made to protect and serve whatever country they reside in, not “systematically abuse” a specific community. Every member of every community should feel safe to walk outside at night or be able to have fun and enjoy their passions without the constant risk of going missing or dying. If you are being paid to make sure that people are safe in their homes, then your personal opinion of a person should not matter. How you feel about what they do in their spare time should not matter. The person alone should matter.

Pride members in Toronto have recently spoken out in the wake of the confirmation that seven members of the LGBT community were killed by McArthur. “I think this year, more than any year, Pride is going to be a time of reflection, and may feel more sombre perhaps in the wake of all the deaths,” said Syrus Marcus Ware, a team member at Black Lives Matter Toronto and a trans-man. Law enforcement presence has always been a symbol of protection, but the LGBT community has been neglected and let down too many times. It’s understandable and reasonable that they don’t want a present reminder of the broken relationship.

Law enforcement has become more of a liability than a system of protection. Policemen and women in America have been called out for crimes that would get anyone without a badge locked up. I’m tired of hearing about people dying because the police didn’t do their job. I’m tired of hearing about people being killed by the police and I’m tired of hearing that nothing is being done for the communities that are constantly under attack.

Just this past weekend a shooter injured two people at a transgender club in Las Vegas. It pisses me off that the police not only failed to report this as a hate crime, but also that there has been no mainstream media coverage of this event. Is it because no one was killed? Does someone have to die for the non-LGBT public to care about them? I want to know that my sister is safe to live her life and not be afraid that one day I’m gonna find her name in the news.