11Mental Health Taskforce

In April of 2016, an Advisory Board on Student Welfare and Mental Health was appointed by the Vice President for Student Affairs Lisa Kirkpatrick. For the past year, the board has been researching and brainstorming ideas to help students.

The primary goal of the advisory board is to increase the probability that students with mental health challenges, as well as students exhibiting concerning behaviors, are identified as early as possible and appropriate institutional support is provided said Calvin Kelly, co-chair of the board and director of the Health & Counseling Center.

“The end game is to ensure students have the support they need to be successful, both academically and in life, and have a terrific student experience at St. Edward’s,” Kirkpatrick said.

The board has five objectives:

– Complete an internal audit of campus processes to identify students with mental health concerns or engaging in concerning behavior.

– Identify new or improved programs to support students engaging in concerning behaviors or mental health challenges.

– Determine if additional campus data can be gathered and categorized to identify troubled students to help with early intervention and outreach.

– Review and develop recommendations for referral process to different committees to ensure appropriate referrals are made with appropriate outcomes.

– Develop recommendations for prevention and outreach efforts for students who are most at risk for self-harm or for harming others.

The advisory board is a collaborative effort between the Student Affairs and Academic Affairs division. The board is also comprised of co-chair and Dean of Students Steven Pinkenburg, and 11 other members, which is inclusive of students, faculty and staff.

Ideas have not yet to be presented to and approved by administrators, and events have not yet been announced. The plan is to have more events and awareness starting next semester, Kelly said.

“This entire effort opens the door to larger conversations about wellness and healthy living for all,” Kirkpatrick said. “In a community with the values and relationships that we hold so dear, holistic wellness is everybody’s business and ultimately it is about caring for one another in a way that helps each student become the best version of themselves.”