Finished Pavilions disappoint with thin walls, bad plumbing, and tiny closets

Carrie Pommerening / Hilltop Views

The Pavilions have left students wondering if they were worth the wait.

The highly anticipated Pavilions have finally been finished!

The Pavilions seemed like a nice place to live initially. After spending a bit of time living there, you start to notice just how rushed they were. Now they continue to disappoint residents that have been paying about $5000 for it.

When first moving in, residents walked into dusty apartments that were obviously just finished. The rushed inside job left the rooms covered in clouds of construction dust, slathered with terrible paint jobs and plagued with maintenance issues.

“The deadbolt of our main door fell off within the first week,” one junior said, “and maintenance has been in our apartment more times than we have.”

Other students have reported loose shower drain covers and other hardware such as cabinet doors being blocked by light fixtures. Don’t worry though, there was an alleged incident where the Pavilions left someone an inch of water in their room. Another resident’s roof is so leaky that maintenance is having to seal off her door. So if you ever need to escape the Texas heat, skip Barton Springs and just go to the Pavilions.

Besides the obvious rushed construction job, many are not happy with the size of the living spaces, and residents are unsure about what to do with all the items they brought for the expected large space. The narrow hallways of the units could be in a horror movie.  

One plus side to the Pavilions is that the location is optimal for getting to class on time. Want to drive somewhere though? You’ll have to park your car in the parking garage and make that quarter mile trek all the way to your apartment. One student claimed they’d rather pay for Uber than the parking permit. When you finally lay down to sleep after making the long walk, you’ll probably hear the conversations going on in the apartment above you.

Because of the thin walls, long walks from the parking garage and multiple hall meetings, many are having flashbacks to freshman dorm life.

“It’s a nice apartment complex, don’t get me wrong,” one resident said, “but as far as upperclassmen living? It feels more like a freshman dorm than anything else. Was it worth the wait for the people who had to move in and out of hotels all last year? Haha, no.”

This disappointment was even shared among sophomores like Isis Izu, “I didn’t want to live off campus so I picked the Pavilions,” Izu said, “because I thought it was going to be really amazing like they advertised it to be.” Izu also said that she does not plan on living in the Pavilions next year.

This frustrating bruise on campus continues to get worse as the high hopes of students have been crushed. Paying so much for an unfinished job wasn’t what any upperclassmen wanted. Thanks for the $33 million project St. Ed’s! Maybe a parking lot would’ve been better.