OurView: Homecoming celebrates unity of students, parents, alumni on the Hilltop

This past weekend’s Homecoming festivities concluded the yearly celebration for students and alumni. Of all the events hosted by the school, Homecoming is by far the best at bringing the whole community together. The weekend is full of events that excite everyone on campus with something in it for everyone. 

By combining parents week with multiple other week-long celebrations such as Topper Cup, Homecoming weekend serves as a way for students to truly feel like they belong on the Hilltop. 

The tailgate is the only day of the whole school year where everyone from alumni, faculty and current students get together in the parking lot and party. 

Although there’s always the potential incentive to help the different clubs raise money, the tailgate itself is so memorable on its own. It’s one of the only opportunities during the year to witness the past legacy of St. Edward’s and see how it’s continuing to flourish.

As Vice President of Student Affairs, Dr. Lisa Kirkpatrick explained, “Homecoming and Family Weekend is a reminder about why I serve here–it’s about supporting and challenging our students to prepare themselves to accomplish their biggest dreams and then return to the Hilltop as alumni and tell us all about them!”

St. Edward’s makes an effort to make every student feel included and valued every single day, but Homecoming puts an extra emphasis on belonging, which is why alumni return year after year. 

The celebration’s just too wonderful to miss!

Dr. Kirkpatrick added, “My favorite part about Homecoming is seeing all of us come together as one enormous interconnected family, sharing memories, making new ones and celebrating the many accomplishments of our alumni!”

Christopher Ayala, one of two Homecoming Royals, had some more to add regarding Homecoming and how it directly benefits current, past and future students. Ayala added, “I just feel like it’s a good way to show the unity the university has, especially within the student body. I know St. Ed’s has a lot of different personalities and people that come from different worlds so seeing everyone come together for a weekend–and seeing alumni return from past years– really shows the love and admiration that can be present in the school. Seeing it all culminate together is really magical.”

With thriving organizations such as the Equity and Justice Council and Campus Ministry, parents can really see that their kids are in good hands here on the Hilltop and alumni can continue to see St. Edward’s continuous progress to become the best campus it can be.

While Homecoming served as a banquet of free food and was flooded with school apparel, the festivities meant more to the St. Edward’s community than just another expression of school spirit. Homecoming brought everyone in and makes campus more united than ever, year after year after year.

Each week the editorial board reflects on a current issue in Our View. The position taken does not reflect the opinions of everyone on the Hilltop Views staff. This week’s editorial board is composed of Viewpoints Editors Sammy Jo Cienfuegos and Jacob Bryce.