Buzz Mill to open soon on Pickle Street off South Congress

Buzzmill is going to open a second location.

Buzz Mill, a 24 hour coffee shop, plans to open their second location called The Buzz Mill Homestead.

It will be located on Pickle Road right off of South Congress and is set to open in 2016.

Buzz Mill owner Jason Sabala talked about his new location, sustainability and how he wants to create a green venue.

“What we do [at Buzz Mill] is we make a lot of cocktails where we infuse spices and vegetables and herbs into our liquor and create, for example, a big strawberry basil vodka. We’re going to grow those things on the property with rain collection from the rooftop,” Sabala said.

Sabala also said Buzz Mill is part of a whole acre of activity.

That “acre of activity” on Pickle street will include a 24-hour climbing gym, a new winery and Buzz Mill Homestead, Sabala said.The climbing gym is set to open at the beginning of 2016 and the winery will open in the next two weeks.

Sabala explained that in addition to Buzz Mill Homestead, there will be food trucks on the block that he will open to aspiring chefs and restaurant owners to sell their food.

Being the previous owner of Emo’s and several bars, he knows how hard it is for newcomers to make it in Austin without gambling thousands of dollars.

“We’re also going to have four trucks that are part of kind of an incubator,” Sabala said. “So it’s gonna be four young, new chefs that have created something.”

“So when you come out to the Buzz Mill property, it’s gonna be Buzz Mill, these food trucks, the winery, the climbing gym,” Sabala said.

Sabina said he is worried about how the neighborhood is going to receive the new bar. They want to be part of the community.

“This is perfect for St. Ed’s because they’re so big in our community so once we start the hiring process in a couple months we’re going to lean on the university a lot and also any of the housing that’s in there I would really want to work with any of that stuff,” Sabala said.

“We can’t have a business in this model where you only worry about the students,” Sabala said. “Ours is a mix of the students and the local neighbors and so we’re trying to figure out a way to meld those two together.”

The distance may be a problem for some students, but with the promise of student discounts and a closed off 24/7 study room, the late night coffee shop might be appealing for a student who’d rather be surrounded by the eclectic environment Buzz Mill provides for its customers.

“It is quieter because Jo’s is like really loud and then, it sounds pretty cool with the live music and it probably would be nice to get off campus once in awhile,” student Anna Taraszewski said.

“I live right on South Congress so I guess if the need really arose I would go there late and night,” student Christin Smith said.

Follow me @joanna_ariola