St. Edward’s baseball team makes MLB World Series predictions

<div class=
" class="catboxphoto" />

Sports Editor

In the spirit of Major League Baseball’s (MLB) Opening Week, the St. Edward’s baseball team made individual predictions regarding the 2015 MLB World Series Champions. Nonetheless, the baseball team also chimed in on who they thought would win the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) World Series.

It’s an odd-numbered year, which, for skeptical MLB fans, means that any team besides the San Francisco Giants (who won the World Series in ’10, ’12, and ’14) stands a chance at the title. Therefore, the following question is posed: who is going to win the World Series?

Of the 30 St. Edward’s baseball representatives who provided their highly-dispersed opinions, four votes went to the home state team, the Texas Rangers.

However, the St. Edward’s baseball team was very open in saying that some of their predictions were largely based on the team they hope will win the World Series, and not necessarily based on statistics, line-ups, or pitching staff.

Additionally, three votes went to the St. Louis Cardinals, New York Yankees, and the Houston Astros. Two votes also went to the Washington Nationals, Cleveland Indians, Chicago Cubs, Atlanta Braves, and Los Angeles Dodgers, while one vote each went to the Arizona Diamondbacks, Baltimore Orioles, Boston Red Sox, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, Oakland Athletics, San Diego Padres, and the San Francisco Giants.

Sports Illustrated analyst Stephen Canella says the Cleveland Indians will win the World Series, similarly to how St. Edward’s junior pitcher Dan Becks and sophomore catcher Gable Whitacre casted their votes by writing #WINdians.

Sporting News believes that the Chicago Cubs will win the World Series, and not just because of the movie “Back to the Future 2,” where the Cubbies do indeed win the 2015 World Series. Senior outfielder A.J. Hermanson and junior pitcher Grayson Pratt agree.

St. Edward’s head coach Rob Penders predicts the Washington Nationals to be the World Series Champions because “they have the best combination of pitching and offense.”

Last year, the Rangers finished 28 out of 30 MLB teams, last in the American League. Still, here are some of the statistical advantages as to why they have a chance at winning the World Series.

According to ESPN, the Rangers have a young average age of 26.8, along with slugger infielders: Adrian Beltre, Prince Fielder, and Elvis Andrus. The team also expects a lot from outfielders: Shin-Soo Choo and Leonys Martin.

Despite their All-Star ace, Yu Darvish out for the season for Tommy John surgery, Texas has acquired right-handed pitcher (RHP) Yovani Gallardo who will be followed in the pitching rotation by LHP Derek Holland, RHP Colby Lewis, LHP Ross Detwiler and RHP Nick Martinez

Like any winning team, the Rangers ultimately need to hit the ball, pitch well, and stay healthy.

However, back to the original question of who is going to win the World Series, the St. Edward’s baseball team initially had another, completely different answer

“We are,” junior infielder Mike Davis said, referring to the Hilltoppers and the NCAA World Series. Hermanson and junior third baseman Dylan Watts also casted secondary votes in favor of their team.

In 2013, the Hilltoppers won the Heartland Conference (HC) Tournament, were the Regional Champions, and tied for third at the NCAA World Series. In 2014, St. Edward’s was the Heartland and HC Tournament Champions and advanced to NCAA Regionals, according to the SEU Athletics website.

The Hilltoppers are nationally ranked at No. 20 and are currently on a nine winning streak after sweeping the University of Arkansas-Fort Smith. With 13 regular season games left, St. Edward’s is 27-8, 13-2 HC.