Topper TV channels creative content, gives voice to students

In an effort to collaborate with other student media outlets, we asked Topper TV to share thoughts on the importance of their work.

We are in a new golden age of television. Surely, if your friends own a television set or a Netflix account, they’ve told you that there’s a show out right now that “you just have to watch.”

They’ll tell you that these shows feature the best actors Hollywood and the world has to offer, and that the characters they portray can make international audiences laugh, cry, feel nervous, excited, or exhausted. But above all, these programs grab viewers’ attention and get them hooked.

Sometimes, like in reality shows, these characters are real people and the settings are their homes. But despite the familiarity, their stories are just as entertaining as any sci-fi epic.

The fact of the matter is: people are interesting.

Everyone has a story, and with Topper TV, the students here at St. Edward’s University have a way to tell their stories to the community.

When coming up with ideas for shows, the creators of Topper TV had one thing in mind: “Think about what you want to see on TV. “

The producers for all the Topper TV shows are all students themselves, and they have gotten behind creating programs they want to see. They are sure other students will enjoy watching their work just as thoroughly.

Just as with Netflix and traditional television, a variety of programs will be available.

There’s “The Weekly Update,” which features a panel of co-hosts discussing topics in the news, sports or pop culture as well as a variety of interesting interviews.

If you’re interested in interior design, in need of decorating ideas, want to see ways to utilize space or are just curious to see how other students live, “Cribs” features cool apartments and dorm rooms.

If you’re looking for something to make you laugh, “College Students React,” inspired from The Fine Bros. React series on YouTube, showcases students and their often-hilarious feedback on popular videos.

If food programs are more up your alley, there’s “Essential Eats,” which spotlights restaurants around Austin and features a segment called “Dining with Demi,” hosted by Demi Wolford, where she shows step-by-step instructions to affordable and delicious dishes.

For the more competitive types, Topper TV will even air a competition between itself and our ever-friendly neighborhood rivals at Topper Radio.

Each of these great shows are passion-fueled projects, and they are just the beginning of what’s coming to Channel 10 on the university’s closed circuit.

Many more shows are in development. As Topper TV grows, its selection of programming will only grow more diverse.

One such idea being developed is a “Saturday Night Live”-esque comedy sketch show. Another is a program that features twists on Shakespeare monologues.

The door is still open for new ideas for television programs, documentaries, short films and any other type of project. Topper TV is just getting started, and it is looking for different directions to grow in.

There are plenty of cool, exciting other things Topper TV is doing besides making shows as well, such as on-campus events.

Topper TV will kick off its launch weekend with a party on March 1 at 7 p.m. in the Maloney Room on the third floor of Main Building. This will include music, free drinks, prize giveaways and maybe even a sneak peak of our shows.

Local rapper Kato Dox, who performed at Hip-Hop on the Hilltop, will also be joining us, so be sure to grab some friends and come say hi.

It’s sure to be a good time and a great way to celebrate before Topper TV launches.

All of us at Topper TV are involved because we’re passionate about television.

We want to create quality programming that highlights unique voices found around Austin and on our campus. Topper TV is a great way to showcase our community’s talents.

Everybody has an interesting life, and Topper TV will work to put those narratives out into the world.

There’s no better way to tell those stories than by creating shows that your friends will tell you, “you just have to watch.”