Behind the badge with Corporal Gilroy

Corporal Alice Gilroy has worked for St. Edward’s for five years.

Alice Gilroy is not someone you particularly want to get to know on campus. The University Police Department Crime Prevention Officer works at St. Edward’s University five days a week and hopes for a boring day— everyday. 

Boring Days Are The Best

As she drives into school at 7 a.m., Gilroy does not know what her day will entail. When asked what her daily routine consists of, Gilroy said it varies depending on what is going on.

“It depends really. I enjoy just sitting in here (in the office) because it means nothing bad is happening around campus. My day can range from patrolling, driving around, writing parking tickets, checking and sending emails, the lot,” she said. “It also depends on if anything has happened the night before.”

The Perfect Marriage

Being recently promoted to Corporal, Gilroy has now been working at St. Edward’s for five years, and she is not alone. If the name Gilroy within UPD 

ounds familiar to you, but it’s not the soft, warm smile of Alice that comes to mind, then it is probably the six feet one inch stature of Corporal Lenny Gilroy, Alice’s husband.

Gilroy describes the marriage to her husband to be “perfect” as they “never see each other.”

“We are always passing each other,” said Alice Gilroy, “when I’m finishing work, he’s starting.”

Both Alice and Lenny Gilroy work on the campus of St. Edward’s University everyday. 

The couple married in June 1985, and met at Rice University in 1976, where they both worked as police officers.

Lenny Gilroy also described the situation between him and his wife to be perfect.

“Alice is such a positive person and is honestly one of the best people I’ve ever met in my life.” Lenny Gilroy said.

Gilroy’s husband is not the only person who has a lot of praise for her. Fellow UPD Officer, Sharmeka Nwoko, also speaks highly of Gilroy.

“Corporal Gilroy is honest, committed, inspiring, and she has a sense of humor. I’ve learned how to be a better Christian, leader, parent and officer from her,” Nwoko said.

Uniting Two Careers

Recently promoted from Patrolman to Corporal, Gilroy has not always worked in the police force. She graduated from Texas State University with a degree in Criminal Justice. After college she moved and worked at Rice University for nine years, and shortly after, started working for her father’s newspaper, The Floyd County Hesperian. She worked there for 23 years and was constantly busy.

“Journalism then wasn’t how it is now. I was the editor, reporter, publisher, and photographer,” she said. “Now as a police officer, we live for boring days.”

Gilroy stressed the connection between journalism and policing that many do not see. She believes journalists should work hand in hand with the police force.

“Both are seekers of the truth, protectors of the innocent, learn to dig deep and are able to detect the truth from a lie,” Gilroy said.

Because of Gilroy’s aging parents, the couple moved to Austin to be closer to her family. Gilroy and her husband now live in a house attached to Gilroy’s parent’s home.

St. Edward’s Experience

Gilroy thought she was done with policing and had no intention of policing again once she moved to Austin. Of course, that did not happen, and she is now the Crime Prevention Officer. She also leads the Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) program on campus.

“I like the RAD program because it doesn’t just teach women how to defend themselves when they are attacked. It also focuses on how to prevent assaults,” Gilroy said. 

Reflecting back on her five years at St. Edward’s, Gilroy hesitated when asked what the most rewarding part of her job was.

“That’s a difficult one, there are a lot of different parts I enjoy,” she said. “I love being part of the enthusiasm with the kids and their parents as they start their new adventure. I also enjoy getting them through it safely, and being there as a counselor to offer solutions and support when things get tough.”