SCARE for a CURE produces creepy hauntings with a heart

October is the time of the year when the boots and sweaters come out, drinking pumpkin spice lattes is socially acceptable again and the arrival of haunted houses throughout town brings an experience unlike any other.

People looking for an alternative to the traditional haunted house experience will be interested in SCARE for a CURE, which relies on a 100 percent volunteer staff to create a scary experience. SCARE for a CURE donates its net profits to local charities and organizations.

“We’re a non-profit and we support the Breast Cancer Resource Center and other charities with the money we earn. It’s a great event that happens every October and we are building our 2012 Haunt now at our new home at the J. Lorraine Ghost Town in Manor,” said Becky Garcia, a representative from SCARE for a CURE.

Jarrett and Norma Crippen started SCARE for a CURE in 2007. They came together with several others and decided to build an event for a great cause.

In 2007, at their inaugural haunt, they raised $5,000 for a cancer-related charity. They have established themselves as a great cause since then and have provided over $80,000 to the Breast Cancer Resource Center and other charities.

This year’s theme is “Summer Camp Massacre” and volunteers are designing an event for guests that will be filled with special effects showcasing blood, gore, puzzles and obstacles.

“It’s so admirable that the volunteer staff is as dedicated to the cause as if they were a paid staff, and the fact that they are donating to cancer-related charities is really awesome,” sophomore Alice McCoy said.

Volunteers looking for a unique experience that works for a great cause are encouraged to participate. Volunteers get the chance to learn special effects, how to build sets, how to apply makeup or sew costumes within a short period of time.

“Think ‘Habitat for Humanity’ with a devious twist. Instead of building a nice sturdy home designed to make residents feel safe and secure for a long time, our aim is to make our guests scream, run, cower, crawl and try to figure out a way to get out for a good 45 minutes,” Garcia said.

Garcia, a St. Edward’s University alumnus, said that coursework at the university teaches that everyone has social responsibilities and volunteering at this organization helps fulfill this commitment.

“We come together and work hard to build an adventure that provides enjoyment and entertainment to all our attendees while raising money to help a great organization,” Garcia said.

She also said that within the volunteering program was a mentoring program for younger student actors.

“I think it’s great that it’s all done by volunteers, because it’s people giving up their time for a cause that they really believe in. I think advertisements should be placed around campus because so many people would be willing to do it and they may not find out about it otherwise,” junior Bernadette Labrado said.

Those looking to attend this year’s haunted house can do so Oct. 25 through Oct. 27 and on Halloween night itself. Tickets are $25 and can only be bought online ahead of time at scareforacure.org. The haunted house is located in Manor, Texas.

“If people are looking to go to a haunted house anyway, they may as well go to some place where the money will go to a great cause that will benefit other people,” sophomore Gabriella Gonzalez said.