Half of graduates jobless

Nearly half of recent St. Edward’s University students are unemployed upon graduating, according to a survey conducted by Career Planning.

The survey indicated that upon graduating from St. Edward’s, 42 percent of traditional undergraduates are employed, 41 percent are looking for a job and 15 percent are enrolled in graduate school. Two percent of the students surveyed answered “other.”

Career Planning recently compiled the results of the survey from data collected between August 2009 and August 2010 and plans on publishing a report containing the statistics in the near future.

“What we found from the survey was that students who did a combination of visiting Career Services and who did more than one internship, those are the students who’ve typically had success finding a job after graduation,” said Elizabeth Nichols, employer relations coordinator at St. Edward’s.

As the national unemployment rate continues to hover around 9.6 percent, it has been difficult for anyone, not just college graduates, to find jobs. Some students are opting to go to graduate school to attain more specialized skills in a competitive job market.

Sam Trevino, who hopes to graduate in late 2011, said he plans to attend graduate school.

“One reason why I’m planning on grad school is due to the bad economy and the current lack of jobs available for post-graduates,” he said.

For those who decide to enter the workforce directly after graduating from St. Edward’s, Nichols offered some advice. She encouraged students to do two or more internships, attend Career Planning events and develop good writing skills. She also advised students to visit Career Planning early and often and to start job searches as first-semester seniors.

“The job market’s been tough, especially for recent graduates, so everything helps,” Nichols said.

Get Internships

Nichols said that students who completed at least one or two internships were more likely to find jobs in their fields of interest. The survey found that 43 percent of students found their internship experiences “very helpful” to their job searches.

“Internships are key,” Nichols said. “Employers are looking for experience and an ability to do something outside of school.”

Melissa Martinez, who graduated from St. Edward’s in May 2010, said her major’s required internship helped her get a job.

“Applying for my internship got me a job, even though I didn’t get the internship,” Martinez said. “It’s pretty great to have an experience in the professional workforce, in your field, before jumping in after college. Not only for the connections, which are important, but for the preparation that gives you.”

Attend Career Planning Events

Nichols also encouraged students to attend Career Planning events, like the Internship Fair that was held Oct. 20. She said some students have already landed jobs from the fair.

A larger internship and job fair will be held on March 24, with over 100 employers looking to fill jobs and internships.

Nichols recommended that students begin attending these fairs in their freshman and sophomore years so that they become comfortable talking with employers about their skills and interests.

Develop Writing Skills

Nichols said the number one job skill employers are looking for is the ability to write well. She believes that St. Edward’s prepares students well in this way.

“Employers are attracted to our students because they can write, they’re critical thinkers, they have a sense of their global surroundings and they’re service-oriented,” she said.

For example, Facebook recently chose St. Edward’s as a university for recruiting employees, along with the University of Texas at Austin and Rice University.

All current students interviewed said they felt St. Edward’s is preparing them to secure jobs upon graduating.

“St Edward’s does a lot of good career prep in the Career planning office, if you seek it. It’s comforting to know that that office is still accessible, even after I graduate,” senior Ariel Simpson said.

Martinez said her education at St. Edward’s prepared her for entering the workforce.

“I think St. Ed’s helped me be well equipped, at the very least,” she said. “I know people are struggling out there in the job market. I think a solid education and a lot of career support like St. Edward’s