Vigil helps PRIDE move forward

A St. Edward’s University student organization providing support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered students is moving forward despite recent controversies.

PRIDE, an acronym for Promoting Respect, Inclusion, Diversity and Empowerment, has planned a number of events aimed towards connecting with the St. Edward’s community, including a candlelight vigil that was scheduled for on Oct. 12 to remember students who have committed suicide due to anti-gay bullying.

Members of PRIDE recently took on Campus Ministry for its decision to deny Equality Texas, a gay rights advocacy group, a chance to participate in the university’s non-profit fair Sept. 15. But now PRIDE has turned its attention to the vigil, in collaboration with Campus Ministry.

Andrew Guerrero, president of PRIDE, said that the idea for the vigil was inspired by the suicide of Tyler Clementi, an 18-year-old freshman at Rutgers University, on Sept 22. Clementi committed suicide days after his roommate streamed video online of Clementi having a sexual encounter with another man.

“We’re having the candlelight vigil to promote the fact that bullying is real,” Guerrero said.

Guerrero said he chose Oct. 12 to be the day of the vigil because it is the 12-year anniversary of the hate crime-related death of Matthew Shepard, a homosexual student who attended the University of Wyoming.

“It’s kind of easy to forget about [anti-gay bullying] when you live in such an accepting city,” Guerrero said. “We need to continue to fight.”

Guerrero met with Student Life and Campus Ministry Sept. 29 to discuss the idea for the vigil. Fr. Rick Wilkinson and Monica Frazier of Campus Ministry voiced their support of the vigil.

“The candlelight vigil is an example of [PRIDE] moving forward,” Guerrero said. “It’s all about open communication and making sure everyone’s on the same page with these events so hopefully we can move forward with them.”

PRIDE has also planned a host of other events for this semester, which have already been approved by Campus Ministry and Student Life, including events in October and November.

PRIDE also celebrated National Coming Out Day on Oct. 11. Between Oct. 11 and 14, PRIDE members will set up a table in Ragsdale to ask for volunteers to sign up to participate in the National AIDS walk. From Oct. 18 through 22 will be Ally Week. PRIDE will host events related to the group’s heterosexual allies.

“October is going to be our biggest month,” Guerrero said.

In November, PRIDE will have volunteer opportunities and may host a social event, and in December, the group will be proposing their spring calendar of events for approval.

“There may be disagreements with our plans for the spring,” Guerrero said. “Hopefully communication will help get them approved.”