SGA senators elected

The St. Edward’s University Student Government Association is welcoming new senators after the end of the 2010 fall elections.

The fall elections mark the first time that students could elect senators from their residence halls.

“SGA congratulates each candidate, no matter the outcome of his or her race,” SGA spokesperson Marianne Shea said in a press release. “We are appreciative of their hard work and dedication and look forward to a great year of legislation.”

The St. Edward’s freshman class elected Rebecca May and Christopher Bynoe as the two freshman senators in one of two contested races. Leigh Anne Winger finished third in the freshman senator race.

The Senators elected to the Hunt/LeMans senate seats include freshman Nick Cotrell and freshman Madison Shaft. The new senator for Teresa Hall is freshman Nicholas Fuentes, and the new Dujarie senator is freshman Curran Kelley.

In the second contested race, freshman Melina Tabibian, who ran against Catherine Hennessy, was elected East Hall Senator.

Senate positions for Basil Moreau Hall, the Casas and the apartments, which gets two seats, remain vacant.

SGA is working to fill the vacancies as soon as possible.

“Filling the vacancies is a responsibility of the residence hall executive senator and vice president,” SGA advisor Marisa Lacey said in the Oct. 7 SGA meeting. “They must come up with a recruitment plan.”

The residence hall executive senator, elected after the Oct. 7 meeting, is Tabibian, Shea said.

Currently, residence hall senators are working with SGA Vice President Krista Heiden to fill the vacancies.

The organization has created posters to advertise the vacant positions and will be meeting with residence directors of each hall soon, as part of their duties.

Additional reporting by Arianna Auber