Students host benefit concert to help Haiti

The benefit concert for Haiti, Music for the Soul, ended up raising an estimated $600.

The music, cheering and festive lights coming from Le Mans Plaza warmed up a cold February night and paid off for the victims of the Haiti earthquake.

The benefit concert for Haiti, Music for the Soul, raised an estimated $600, according to Lisa Manjarrez, assistant director of Campus Ministry. Campus Ministry estimated that the money puts the total amount raised above $6,000, which will go towards relief effforts.

The concert raised more money than expected by selling T-shirts, said Kelly McCarthy, a member of “Hilltoppers Helping Haiti,” one of the groups that sponsored the event.

Held Feb. 24 at 7 p.m., the event showcased the vocal and musical talents of students of St. Edward’s University and other artists around Texas. They raised money through selling T-shirts, accepting donations and offering a raffle for a movie basket.

Besides a display of local talent, Music for the Soul was a fund raising opportunity for the Students of African Heritage Association, the other student group sponsoring the event, said Danielle Samuel, one of the event coordinators.

Shortly after the concert was canceled earlier in February due to inclement weather, Samuel received an e-mail from Campus Ministry asking that the event become a Haiti benefit when it was rescheduled, which it had not been originally. Samuel agreed right away.

“A lot of times when events get moved, they lose something, but we gained something,” she said. “It’s for a cause now. It’s better than it was.”

Part of the tribute to Haiti was the addition of two songs when Music for the Soul was rescheduled: “Will You Be There” by Michael Jackson and “Let It Be” by the Beatles. Three of the event coordinators, Taylor Batch, Jessica Collins and Rehema Abdul, were involved in singing them.

The 23 songs played at the event were all in the musical styles of R&B, Soul and Jazz. They ranged from covers of Etta James’ “At Last” to Bob Marley’s “Redemption Song.”

But the hit of the night came from two contemporary music groups. The cover of Destiny Child’s “Say My Name” was performed by a local indie group, the Dandy Lions, and drew loud cheers, as well as spontaneous dancing, from the crowd.

“The [lead singer] was like a white Beyoncé,” said Brian McElrath, a freshman who attended the concert. “It was pretty much amazing.”

But more important than the songs themselves was the purpose of Music for the Soul, to inspire people to help Haiti, Batch said.

The two hosts, Samuel and Greg Rucker, reminded the audience to donate throughout the concert. After the Michael Jackson song, Rucker stepped up to the microphone and made a plea for donations to Haiti.

“We are more than just Americans,” he said. “We are citizens of this earth.”

[email protected]