Man wanted in connection with vehicle burglaries

The St. Edward’s University Police Department is on the lookout for a suspect in connection with a burglary of a vehicle that occured Wednesday morning.

Surveillance cameras caught the individual in the campus parking garage at approximately 10:30 a.m. The individual broke into an SUV and stole a GPS device.

“We caught the individual three times on camera,” said UPD Chief Rudolph Rendon. “We saw him entering the garage, strolling around inside, then, once he had the item, him running across the street exiting campus.”

The individual seen on the surveillance tape is a middle-aged white male wearing a blue hooded sweatshirt, jeans, a red shirt and a green hat with an orange bill. He was seen leaving the parking garage headed away from campus on Woodward Street.

“We believe that this individual is connected to six other vehicle burglaries and one car theft we have had on campus,” said Rendon. “This burglary yesterday has the same M.O. as the ones we have seen on campus in the past. We have been in contact with [the Austin Police Department] Burglary Theft Division who have reports of the same M.O. being used in the area.” Rendon said that during each burglary, an individual was spotted wearing similar clothing, including the blue sweatshirt and a baseball hat, which leads them to believe the man on the cameras is the same. The recent rash of car burglaries has gone against a recent trend in the reduction of crime happening on campus over the past few years. St. Edward’s zip code, 78704, had the third-highest crime rate in Austin in 2009.UPD continues to urge all students to lock their cars and secure their valuables before leaving the parking garage or any parking lot on campus. Rendon also urged students that if they see this individual on campus that they should not approach him, but instead contact UPD. UPD is encouraging students who have further information to contact them at 512-448-8444.