Poetry club returns to campus after hiatus

Perhaps one of the most elusive and mysterious clubs at St. Edward’s University is the Poetry Club.

Many St. Edward’s students, like Freshman Emily Eubank, don’t even know the club exists.

“I didn’t know it existed, but I think it’s an awesome idea since I write poetry myself,” she said.

The club meets on top of the parking garage every Wednesday at 10 p.m. and members take turns reading original poems to the group.

Junior Zane Goodwin said he thought the group could be beneficial to St. Edward’s students who are interested in poetry.

“I think we need to encourage creative expression in a world where written poetry isn’t appreciated as much as lyrical poetry in song,” he said. “Most people with poetry writing talent apply it to song writing, but I think it’s important we don’t lose sight of where poetry came from.”

The Poetry Club was originally founded in 2007 but went on hiatus during Fall 2009 because many of its members either graduated or were occupied with work. Abe Clabby, a junior, revitalized the club this semester.

Clabby said part of the purpose of the club is to support and foster self-expression among its members, primarily through writing and appreciating poetry.

Many members view the opportunity to share their works as a kind of escape.

“I feel that when we are up there on the roof, everything else is kind of left behind…we are in our own space, far away from work and obligations and everything else in life,” he said.

None of the members claim to be poets by profession and, incidentally, none are creative writing majors at St. Edward’s.

Despite being relatively intimate and secluded, the club does welcome new members. In fact, pamphlets with a poem describing when and where the Poetry Club meets were scattered around campus last week. The pamphlets were found in locations ranging from tree branches to the pages of a library book.

Clabby said new members shouldn’t feel nervous or daunted about joining the club.

“It’s not like you are joining our society,” he said. “We’re in the same society.”

Individuals seeking fellow appreciators of poetry and a community supportive of self-expression should venture to the top of the parking garage and take a chance, Clabby said.

“You can see the whole city from up there. It’s literally a different world view,” he said.

[email protected]

FEATURES