Toxicology report reveals numerous drugs caused Young’s death

Former St. Edward’s University sophomore Jared Michael Young died of an accidental drug overdose, according the Travis County Medical Examiner’s Office. The medical examiners report, released Tuesday, identifies a myriad of drugs present in Young’s body at the time of his death. Blood test results revealed both cocaine and methamphetamines, along with a variety of other pharmaceutical drugs. Young’s blood alcohol level was nearly twice the legal limit. This information led the medical examiner to conclude that Young, 20,  “died as a result of mixed drug toxicity.” Young was discovered unconscious by his roommate on Nov. 1, 2009. The Austin Police Department responded to Young’s off-campus apartment located in the 500 block of East Stassney Lane. Young was pronounced dead at the scene. Young was originally from Austin and went to high school at the Huntington-Surrey School. He  lived on campus in Doyle Hall and Hunt Hall last school year. Young’s family declined to comment through the Dean of Students office. The toxicology report  lists both recreational and pharmaceutical drugs identified in Young’s blood. Cocaine was detected along with Levamisole, which is primarily used to remove worms from farm animals and is also sometimes used to cut cocaine. Trace amounts of marijuana were detected along with metabolized methamphetamines.

“[The] decedent reportedly drank a large quantity of alcohol and snorted crushed Xanax at a party the evening before death,” according to the report. Young was the second student to die during the fall semester. John “Quatro” Kiley IV, a junior, died from drowning Aug. 23 while visiting his father in Osterville, Mass.