Students giving back to community for Christmas

This holiday season has always been a time for giving and charity, and this year is no exception for students and faculty at St. Edward’s University. 

Various campus groups are getting in the holiday spirit by giving their time and gifts to others.

This season, each player of the women’s volleyball team is adopting a Salvation Army Angel. As part of the Salvation Army Angel Giving Tree program, the players all chose an “angel” online. Angels are children or seniors in financial need in the local Austin community selected by the Salvation Army. The players all purchased a gift for their angel, said sophomore Natasha Pajda, the team manager.

Laura Colley, a freshman player, said it was a lot of fun going out with the team to spend money for a good cause.

“Knowing that it will brighten someone’s day is very rewarding,” she said.

Coaches Sean Donahue and Kim Morgal also participated and bought gifts for their own angels.

Another group getting in the holiday spirit is the Student Service Council. The council is hosting the annual Festival of Lights Service Project on Dec. 2. This year, the project is a winter-themed festival that invites the entire St. Edward’s community to interact and play with the students from the St. Ignatius Martyr School and Capitol School of Texas. 

The young students will be able to make their own stockings, meet Topper the mascot, take pictures with Santa, and listen to a storyteller in the Mabee Ballrooms.

Laura Quinn, Student Service Council executive board member, said the purpose of the project is to get people in the holiday spirit, have fun and help those in need.

Co-ed Community Service Fraternity Alpha Phi Omega is also hosting a toy drive for Precious Heritage Orphanage in Manila, Philippines from Nov. 30 – Dec. 4 in the Ragsdale Center lobby. The group is also collecting hygiene products. All of the donations will be delivered to the orphanage in time for Christmas.

Elyssa Parven, president of Alpha Phi Omega, will be delivering the donations to the orphanage in Manila herself during her trip to the Philippines in December.

Aware of the poverty in the area, Parven thought it would really brighten the children’s lives to bring something with her.

Parven said the toy drive is so importance because most people lose sight of poverty on an international levels.

“There are many children in the Philippines who have no home and do not know what it is like to have presents on Christmas,” she said. “A simple toy can make a child that much happier.”

Parven said the group bought $50 worth of items, which are each worth $1 each, that students can buy from the table to donate.