University promotes professionalism

First-year college graduates lack the professional workplace qualities that business professionals seek, according to a study conducted by York College of Pennsylvania in August 2009.

The study collected data from a random, nationwide sample of 520 human resources professionals as well as regional and state business leaders.

Most respondents to the study classified a strong work ethic, self-confidence and self-awareness, effective communication, and strong personal interaction skills as the most important traits associated with professionalism in the workplace.

The study found that 37 percent of respondents indicated that “less than half of the new graduates they hire exhibit professionalism in their first year on the job.”

“I am not surprised by the study’s findings,” said Robin Mathis, a St. Edward’s University professor of business communication. “The trend occurring in our society today is that we are allowing a little too much emphasis on self. Professionalism is about workplace etiquette and protocol, all of which concerns others.”

Andrea Reyes, a senior international business and entrepreneurship major, said she thinks first-year college graduates are lacking proper social skills in the workplace.

Career counselor Emily Salazar said many employers agree that these graduates do not have developed social skills.

“Students have been in a vacuum all this time in the college world,” Salazar said. “Suddenly students are tossed out there into this whole other world.”

Mathis said that what she finds most alarming is how some students chose to communicate with her interpersonally in the last five years.

“I have seen at times that students can communicate a sense of entitlement or arrogance that doesn’t sit well with me,” Mathis said. “I worry that they will communicate like that on the job and suffer great consequences.”

However, St. Edward’s is taking the initiative to promote proper business etiquette in the workplace.

Salazar said the Career Planning office will be hosting an etiquette dinner before the job fair next semester. The dinner includes a “mocktail” hour followed by a four or five-course meal. The etiquette diner was started five years ago at the request of students who didn’t know how to act or dress during a job interview that included a cocktail hour and dinner at the Four Seasons.

“What I’m hoping to add this year to the dinner is a fashion show to show students how to dress, as well as getting business professionals to come talk about proper business communication,” said Salazar.

Salazar also stressed the importance of LinkedIn, a business-oriented social networking site mainly used for professional networking.

“Every student should have a profile on LinkedIn,” said Salazar. “The profile should be strictly professional.”

However, there is some danger in using a social networking site for business communication.

“Students sometimes treat LinkedIn like Twitter, which it is not supposed to be used for,” Salazar said.

Internships are also necessary not only in obtaining jobs but learning the appropriate way to act in a professional situation.

“Internships are crucial,” said Professor Kelly Mendiola. “Students are able to get real world experience that substitutes for job experience.”

Reyes said internships give students hands-on experience in the industry.

Mathis said she believes St. Edward’s is proactive in giving students the necessary experience to enter the workplace.

“The School of Business and Management does a great job at guiding students so that they gain their desired experience,” Mathis said. “Students can sometimes act as though SEU is lucky to have them, and I feel that they should feel blessed to be offered such a wonderful learning opportunity and communicate in a way that enhances and preserves the privilege of being here.”