Apprentice Austin pairs students with professionals

St. Edward’s University students who are looking for a way to connect with future employers in Austin may not need to look further with the start of the Apprentice Austin program.

Sponsored by the Austin Young Chamber of Commerce, the brand new apprenticeship program pairs a junior or senior college student with a mentor in a specific field or area of interest.

Mentors volunteer for the program as a way to give back to the Austin community by sharing personal experience.

The mentor meets with the student one hour a week to help with the student’s future career choices and establish employer connections through networking, according to AYCC’s Web site. The program lasts three months with a total of six sessions.

The AYCC, in addition to St. Edward’s, has also teamed up with University of Texas at Austin, Texas State University, Huston-Tillotson University, Concordia University and Austin Community College.

President George Martin suggested AYCC coordinate with the St. Edward’s Career Planning Office after he was introduced to the apprentice program said Elizabeth Nichols, employer relations coordinator at St. Edward’s.

Nichols and the Career Planning Office have taken on the responsibility of marketing Apprentice Austin to St. Edward’s students, and has even been able to secure scholarships to cover the fee of the application process.

The goal of Apprentice Austin is to aid upperclassmen at these local institutions who have a strong desire to remain in Austin, specific career interests, and outstanding personal and academic achievements.

Danielle Richter, a senior, said the program is a crucial part of the college experience.

“College is more than just about learning…it’s about getting connections for when you graduate,” she said.

To apply, students were asked to submit a resume, a biographical narrative, one letter of recommendation, and an application containing four questions each limited to 150 word answers. The deadline was Nov. 30.

Although the process may sound involved, Nichols ensures the process is well worth the possible benefits.

“It’s a unique opportunity for a student to learn from a local leader in an area of interest…which are all over the board, ranging from science, medicine and education,” Nichols said.

Adam DeVos, a senior who is double majoring in entrepreneurship and finance, has applied for Apprentice Austin and encourages other students to do so as well.

“It’s a great opportunity to connect with future employers in the Austin area and is a next step for the future,” he said.

DeVos said another benefit of Apprentice Austin is the ability to connect with other top students in the Austin area and get hands on experience in relevant career field.

DeVos said this will take students involved in Apprentice Austin above and beyond others.

Other students have praised Apprentice Austin for its potential future benefits as well.

Donald Linnell, a sophomore, said he though the connections students can make in the program can be invaluable for future success.

Mitchell Hallmark, a freshman agreed.

“I believe a program like this will help students not only in the present, but in the future,” he said.

And, while the idea of an apprentice program is entirely new to the Austin area, the U.S. Department of Labor has run a national apprenticeship program since 1937 which provides structured, on-the-job training in both traditional and emerging industries. Apprentice Austin attempts to emulate this model.

St. Edward’s students interested in Apprentice Austin can contact the career planning office or visit the Austin Young Chamber of Commerce’s Web page at http://austinyc.org, for additional application information. Applications were due by Nov. 30, but students are open to consider and apply for next year’s program.

[email protected]