Students in social work class host fundraiser

At a fundraiser, co-sponsored by St. Edward’s University students, a total of $2,780 was raised to aid a local nonprofit organization.Students in Generalist Practice, a social work course offered at St. Edward’s University, and members of the university’s Social Work Student Association hosted a fundraiser to help the Planned Living Assistance Network of Central Texas maintain business.  The benefit, involving performances from local bands and a silent auction, attracted a crowd of close to 100 people at Aces Lounge on Oct. 18. Deborah Webb, professor of Generalist Practice at St. Edward’s, said the money raised will be enough to keep PLANCTX running for another month, covering the financial gap between the money the organization earns and the costs of services.   When the class began planning the endeavor and deciding on a venue, its original fundraising goal was $500.  Once the class confirmed the location at Aces Lounge, its goal jumped to $1,000, but members never thought an amount as high as $2,780 would be the actual result, Webb said.  Webb attributes the success of the benefit to the hard work of her students.  “They are really, really trying hard to do grass-roots, community-orientated social justice work,” she said.  “They aren’t just doing social work, but social justice work and are really looking to help those in need and those who are less fortunate.”  Caroline Dickens, a senior and member of the class, said there was good turnout at the event. “We were even standing outside, handing out flyers,” she said. “We got a lot of unanticipated walk-ins that way.”  Webb said the success of the event, along with the class’s participation in the National Alliance on Mental Illness Walks on Oct. 10, put the face of St. Edward’s students out into the social work community in a positive light.  “Professionals, businesses and families get to see the caliber of our students,” Webb said. “It really got the attention of the event organizers of NAMIWalks and impressed them.” Webb said the appreciative and generous energy her students’ exuded will help them in the job market.  “And now in this market, every inch helps,” she said.