3 Ways to Celebrate Day of the Dead on Campus

LSLO at Viva La Vida Parade

LATINO STUDENT LEADERS ORGANIZATION

LSLO is celebrating Día de los Muertos is by hosting a Baile with music and food in the Mabee Ballrooms Thursday at 7 p.m.

Everyone is invited to this event, and all proceeds will go to disaster relief organizations.

Members of the Latino Student Leaders Organization also took part in the Viva La Vida parade by volunteering to  separate posters and hang skull piñatas to decorate wooden walls. In addition, these 10 volunteers helped direct other parade attendees and parade participants.

LSLO Marketing Officer Alexandra Galvan said that she personally had never celebrated Día de los Muertos before becoming an officer of the organization, which has allowed her to become more in touch with her Mexican culture. She also says it’s nice being able to share her heritage with other LSLO members who are of Guatemalan and El Salvadorian descent.

“I kind of found my place within [the organization], and also discovered my heritage,” Galvan said.

COLLEGE ASSISTANCE MIGRANT PROGRAM

Today CAMP and the McNair Scholars Program will gather at the seal at 12:45 p.m., then proceed to Ragsdale, where Rev. Peter Walsh will bless the altar.

There will also be entertainment, which included a dance performance by Danza Azteca de la Iglesia Cristo Rey and a musical performance by Mariachi Alas de Oro.

Since the 1980s, CAMP has organized an annual Día de los Muertos alter for the St. Edward’s community to leave photos and cards to loved ons who have died.

Valdez said, “The CAMP program has housed the permanent collection for Día de los Muertos, and anybody who leaves something on there, if they choose to make it part of the collection donated in there, it’ll get stored with that and put out every year.”

It takes about three hours and five to six volunteers to make the Día de los Muertos alters found in Ragsdale and the Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel. Valdez said she was impressed by the 3-D look of the alters this year.

This tradition includes leaving marigold flowers, as well as items that remind you of your deceased loved ones. 

Valdez said, “If they were particular to Coke or they liked Jack Daniels or their Cuban Cigar or they liked a certain cookie, you would put that out in memory of them.”

GLOBAL ENGANGMENT OFFICE

On Wednesday, CAMP will be working with GEO to host a Día de los Muertos-themed internationalTEA, where students will learn the Mexican traditon of sugar skull painting and building a personal altar. Mexican hot chocolate and pan de muertos (bread of the dead) will be served.

Valdez said, “[Celebrating Día de los Muertos is] a way to show that you still think about them and you still love them and you still treasure your memories with them, and you haven’t forgotten just because they’re no longer there with you.”