3Cornyn Brief

Andrea Guzman

U.S. Senator John Cornyn, R-Texas, confirmed that he will run for re-election in 2020 during a session on the closing day of the Texas Tribune Festival Sept. 24. Cornyn also endorsed Sen. Ted Cruz for re-election in 2018.

“I’m the vote-counter for the Senate, the majority whip and I think it’s frankly helpful given my seniority and my position in leadership to continue to serve as long as the people of Texas will have me,” Cornyn said. He will run for his fourth term in office.

Meanwhile, Cruz faces a race against U.S. Rep. Beto O’Rourke, D-El Paso, who discussed his challenger at the festival. 

“We don’t take PAC money and we raised last quarter $2.1 million,” O’Rourke said. “We outraised a sitting U.S. Senator who takes PAC money, who has a national fundraising base.”  

O’Rourke is commonly viewed as the underdog in the race. “I don’t think Texans want a far left Democrat in the Senate,” Cruz said.

Still, the festival took place while the Graham-Cassidy proposal awaited a vote in the senate, drawing in protesters against Cruz outside of Hogg Auditorium at the University of Texas at Austin. The proposal is Republican’s latest effort to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, and Cruz said during the festival that he was undecided about how he would vote.

Cornyn did not raise objection to voting in favor of  the proposal.

The senators also discussed their trust in Special Council Robert Mueller, Russian interference in the 2016 election and statements Trump made over the weekend regarding the National Football League.

About the Writer
Andrea Guzman, Multimedia Editor

I am Andrea— multimedia editor for Hilltop Views. A member of the St. Edward's Class of 2019, I'm studying Digital Media Management and Journalism. I...