All clear declared following concern of campus intruder

UPD+Car
UPD Car

UPD Car

UPD Car

Andrea Guzman

Editor’s Note: This story has been updated throughout.

Police have issued an all clear after nearly two hours of searching for an armed intruder on the main campus of St. Edward’s University, according to an SEU alert.

The first alert from the Office of Campus Safety was sent via text, email and social media at 5:46 p.m., and instructed students and faculty to “seek a secure location now if you are on campus. Avoid area if off campus.” 

Multiple police officers were on campus securing the area. St. Edward’s University Police searched near the parking garage and the Maryhill and Hilltopper Heights Apartments while Austin Police looked for two suspects following an incident at the Walmart located at Ben White Boulevard and Interstate 35. 

“There is no indication of a weapon being involved and no shots fired,” APD tweeted. 

Director of Communications Mischelle Diaz said everyone was asked to stay indoors “out of an abundance of caution.”

“Because the direction that the suspects ran and because there was a concern they were headed to campus,” Diaz said. 

Another alert was sent at 6:02 p.m. that requested students and faculty to “continue to stay indoors in a secured area until we can issue an all clear.”

The spring semester ended May 11, and “the number of people on campus right now is thankfully a lot less than it is during the semester,” said Diaz. 

UPD officers remain stationed throughout campus out of caution. 

Hilltop Views will update as information comes in.

About the Writer
Andrea Guzman, Multimedia Editor

I am Andrea— multimedia editor for Hilltop Views. A member of the St. Edward's Class of 2019, I'm studying Digital Media Management and Journalism. I...