Single or taken, Austin has the Valentine’s Day events for you

Gracie Watt

Sophomores Maddie Benbenek and Pete Cervantes hold hands in front of campus’ popular view of Austin’s skyline.

People tend to have mixed feelings about Valentine’s Day. Some say it is a capitalistic holiday where people are pressured into buying flowers and chocolate hearts; others think it’s the perfect excuse to celebrate love. Whatever your opinion on the holiday is, no one should spend it alone. Luckily, Austin has some great activities this Valentine’s weekend for everyone. 

Heartbyrne Valentine’s Day at the Sunset Room

If you are a fan of early 80s music, here is the event for you. From 8 p.m. to midnight, visit downtown’s Sunset Room. Here, you will hear two sets of Talking Heads and David Byrne classics covered by some of Austin’s most talented musicians. Tickets are $15 in advance, and $20 if you buy the day of. 

12th Annual Anti-Valentine’s Day Burlesque Show

Bat City Bombshells presents a night of fun and entertainment for all (18+). This event is perfect for those who feel Valentine’s Day is overrated, and just want to go out with friends for a good time. The show is on Saturday, Feb. 15 at Come and Take it Live on Riverside. Doors  open at 8 p.m. and tickets are selling fast at $20. 

Crush N’ You

Come out to the very first Crush N’ You party, featuring some of today’s best R&B performers, visual artwork, couples’ photoshoots and a DJ. This event is perfect for bringing your boo or riding solo this Valentine’s Day. The party will be held at Native Hostel and Bar & Cafe on the 14th, and will go from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. Tickets are on sale now for $10. 

Valentine’s Day Massacre

This event is another for those who dislike the romantic holiday. The Valentine’s Day Massacre is here to bring you anti-ballads from new wave and punk bands. The concert begins at 7 p.m. and ends at 9 p.m., located at The Carousel Lounge. There will also be free candy, but the best part is free admission for all! 

You Know That I Want You

Come with a significant other, or go alone and meet your match. This free party comes with free goodies if you have the Bumble app. There will be heart-shaped piñatas to take a swing at if you’re getting over your own heartbreak. This fun party will be held at W Austin on Lavaca, and starts at 5 p.m. 

A Bloody Valentine’s Day Dance 

Elysium is known for hosting some really creative events, from Vampire Balls to fashion shows and much more. It’s no surprise they are keeping it creative with this celebration. Their website describes the event as, “A Valentine’s Day dance with a Gothic macabre twist. Lovers of all things romantic, dark, black, heartbreaking and horror are invited to attend.” There will be two DJs, and doors open at 9 p.m. This event is $4 if you are over 21, and $7 if you are 18. 

If you are looking to have some fun this Valentine’s Day and possibly get a little out of your comfort zone, check out these events. Of course, you could always play it safe and have a nice dinner at Trace or Le Politique, or head to a movie theatre to see romantic drama, “The Photograph,” coming out on Feb. 13.