Canadian student discovers Austin live music scene

Three plane rides and 1,885miles later, one student finally arrives in Austin, Texas. Freshman Andrea Nicole Gecosala comes from Regina in Saskatchewan, Canada.

Gecosala chose St. Edward’s because it wasn’t too far away from Canada.

“It was between this school in New York and St. Edward’s,” Gecosala said. “But, the study abroad programs at St. Edward’s helped me with my final decision.”

The move from Canada to the United States was a bit of a culture shock for Gecosala. Gecosala mentioned how some terminology she says back home is often a head-scratcher for others here in the United States.

“I tend to say ‘washroom’ instead of ‘bathroom’. I noticed the difference during a conversation I had. It was quite surprising,” Gecosala said.

The Canadian felt welcomed when she first stepped foot on the St. Edward’s campus. She knew this was going to be her home for the next four years.

“I’m majoring in philosophy in hopes of becoming a lawyer,” Gecosala said. “I really enjoy my philosophy classes.”

Since Gecosala is far away from Canada, homesickness can interfere with her studies. Because of this the student tries to keep herself busy with many school activities, clubs and organizations.

She is an officer for the Women’s Club Lacrosse, a member for the S.E.R.V.E program and a Residential Event Planner for East Hall.

“I like to keep myself busy,” Gecosala said. “I love joining and trying out new things with my friends. St. Edward’s is the perfect place to discover my various interests. There isn’t a weekend where I’ve stayed on campus. I’m always out exploring Austin with my close friends.”

During Gecosala’s exploration, she discovered that Austin lives up to its name as the live music capital of the world.

“I love all types of music,” Gecosala said. “I listen to country, electronic dance music, pop — you name it. Austin is one of the best places to discover live music. I’m excited for the Austin City Limits Festival and the upcoming concert of a band called ‘Oh Wonder’.”

Besides exploring Austin, Gecosala has found her favorite place on campus. She frequently goes to the library to study and do her homework because of the quiet environment.

“I focus better in a place like the library,” Gecosala said. “My room is very distracting and I usually don’t get anything productive done.”

Despite being studious, Gecosala also has an adventurous side. From hitting the books to exploring live music downtown, Gecosala continues to find her passion in her new home away from home.

“The next thing on my bucket list is to go bungee jumping,” Geclosala said. “I would love to experience the thrill and the adrenaline. I’m not afraid of taking risks and trying new things. Earlier this year, I went skydiving in Oahu, Hawaii. I definitely recommend it. The experience was incredible and a highlight of my summer break.”