Neighborhood protests new St. Edward’s building

Sherwood Oaks residents staged protests Friday because of a new operations building being built, which will lead to more truck traffic.

St. Edward’s University plans to open its new Operations Building next year, but not everyone is happy about it.

The South River City Citizens (SRCC) Neighborhood Association, which represents the Sherwood Oaks neighborhood to the north of campus, opposes the new building because of the number of large trucks potentially going down their streets.

The Operations Building, which will house the University Police Department, purchasing, facilities and mail functions, will have a loading/unloading dock with its driveway entering onto St. Edward’s Drive. The loading area will be able to accept small box trucks and 18 wheel tractor-trailers.

Neighbors staged protests Friday morning and evening against the university, across the street from East Hall. They drank wine, handed out pizza and played music. All this in the shadows of freshmen moving in.

Neighborhood resident Ellosa Mathews took part in the protests because of her concerns with the trucks and potential expansion of the loading dock in the future.

“They’ve (St. Edward’s) lost their mission and thrown us under the 18 wheel tractor trailer for profit,” Mathews said. “Love thy neighbor and we’re not feeling love from St. Ed’s.”

Marilyn Faulkner, a resident in the neighborhood for seven years, is concerned for her children’s safety and wants the trucks to enter another part of campus.

“My main concern is … the velocity of which these trucks are coming down the road is scary and number two … an 80,000 pound semi truck is not a match for a 25 pound child.”

St. Edward’s Drive is a public road under the jurisdiction of the City of Austin, said Assistant Vice President of Campus Safety Scott Burnotes in a letter dated Aug. 9.

“From time to time, there will also be deliveries from larger trucks; however, they will not be using neighborhood streets to cut through to (South) Congress Avenue, and instead will be using St. Edward’s Drive to reach the operations building,” Burnotes wrote.

Mischelle Diaz, director of Communications for St. Edward’s, said conversations between the neighborhood association have been ongoing. She said the building and permits have been approved.

“From the university’s perspective, we do feel like we have done a number of things to alleviate some of their concerns,” Diaz said. “Can we alleviate all of them? No.”

Safety is the number one priority, Diaz said. She added that the university helped add a radar speed detector on St. Edward’s Drive and the City of Austin plans to add speed bumps down the road starting in January.

On average there will be one large truck per week going down St. Edward’s Drive to make a delivery to the Operations Building, Diaz said. The trucks will enter St. Edward’s Drive from the Interstate 35 Frontage Road and not cut through side streets.

Another concern neighbors brought to the university were athletic buses parking and leaving their engines running during sporting events. Buses will now be able to park on campus, Burnotes said.

“The location wasn’t picked without consideration. There was a lot of study looking at different areas of campus,” Diaz said.

“I believe what the neighbors are asking for is the building not go there, and that’s not an option,” Diaz said. “The building needs to go there.”