Changes coming to food services, new residence hall expected for Fall ’17

This is an exterior model of the new residence hall, which is expected to be completed by Fall 2017.

Editor’s note: This story has been updated throughout.

The new residence hall will not be the only change coming to St. Edward’s University over the next couple of years.

During a town hall event Thursday evening, the university showed off plans for the residence hall and changes being made to food service on campus, including the addition of a food truck.

Construction for the new upperclassmen residence hall will begin this summer. If construction goes to plan, this modern building will be furnished and ready to house students by Fall 2017. This residence hall will stand where the present-day Dujarie parking lot, Woodward Office Building and the parking lot behind it are.

The Woodward Building will be knocked down, forcing the relocation of some departments. The University Police Department moved to Andre Hall, and will be there until a new Operations Building opens early next year. In addition, the mosque currently in Woodward will be moved to Doyle Hall.

Sasaki architect Vinicius Gorgoti, who helped design the new residence hall, said that students’ input would influence the kinds of materials, tiles and colors that would help create warm environments that are engaging and comfortable.

One of the main concerns students had in regards to the new building was pricing. Kim Kvaal, vice president for Financial Affairs, said that the cost to live in the new hall will be in line with the university’s current housing pricing. 

As for food, the first change will be made this summer to Jo’s in the Ragsdale Center, where the coffeeshop will see the addition of more seating, and interior design choices that match the school colors.

During Christmas break, construction will move to South Congress Market in Ragsdale. The grill area will be pushed 10 feet back, which Cyndy Johnson, assistant vice president for Business Services, said will help reduce the hecticness of waiting in line.

Next summer, the walls of Outtakes in Hunt Hall will be removed for a pizza and pasta bar. Outtakes will move to the current location of the Huddle, which will be a more accessible grab-and-go station.

Regarding the food truck, Bon Appétit General Manager Michael Smith said that the food choice has not been decided. However, he said there will be future surveys to ask students and faculty what kind of food they would want to see at the food truck.

This food truck should help alleviate any inconveniences caused by the food services construction, Johnson said.