Students enjoy new talent at Open Mic Night

Freshman Jesse Greene, a regular at Jo’s Open Mic Night. 

Every St. Edward’s University student knows that Jo’s Meadows Coffeehouse is typically filled with students buzzing between classes, looking to get their morning coffee.

During Open Mic Night, Jo’s transforms into a dimly lit, laid-back music scene for singers, listeners and artists alike. The couches are rearranged to create an intimate listening area, and artists perform in front of a string of Christmas lights hung behind them on the wall.

Freshman Colm Duffy comes to every Open Mic Night.

“I really like to see the people I know, but mostly I like to discover new talent on our campus,” Duffy said.

Jesse Greene, a first year student from the Bahamas, starts off his set by announcing: “I’ve had a weird week. I’m going to try to take it out and make sense of it through these songs.”

His passion is evident as he belts out Frank Ocean’s “Bad Religion,” Zayn Malik’s “It’s You” and the most emotional of the three, “Life is Worth Living” by Justin Bieber.

Lexi Banner and David Stern, a pair performing for their first time at Open Mic Night, perform an original song. David plays guitar while Lexi sings with a beautiful, mesmerizing voice, accompanied by a unique double clap in between verses. The whole room is in awe at their magical performance.

Banner and Stern aren’t the only ones performing an original song. A crowd favorite, Corey Bates, frequents Open Mic Night with her indie-like, passionate voice and guitar playing.

“I liked this guy who was in a band, and he stopped talking to me. So, I took all of his songs and put them into one song, and then I sent it to him,” Bates said.

Hindi Alotaibi Stern perform a comedic song “Camel Boy.” Instead of “Smelly Cat” from the hit tv-show “Friends,” he makes it his own. He gets the whole crowd involved, everyone in Jo’s is singing “Camel boy, camel boy, what are they feeding you?”

Freshman Rafael Murtinho, a student from Brazil, sings a beautiful rendition of Barbra Streisand’s “A House Is Not a Home.” He sings a capella, sitting alone on a stool, definitely making Barbra proud. The crowd feeds off of his energy, and erupts into a cheer when he’s done.

As the night goes on, performers begin to slow down, yet the crowd gets bigger. One of the last performers forgets the words to the song “Sweater Weather,” and begins to sing about different people in the crowd.