Lockdown lifted after police search for man with stolen gun on campus

Editor’s Note: This story has been updated throughout.

The shelter in place order issued for St. Edward’s University has been lifted, according to the University Police Department. The precaution came after a man with a gun was in a wooded area near campus.

The suspect has not been caught and the search for the man has moved off campus with Austin Police, UPD said at 2:53 p.m. 

“The campus was thoroughly searched and deemed clear,” a UPD alert said. 

The Austin-American Statesman reports an armed man was seen burglarizing a car near the campus at 12:40 p.m.

The car burglary happened near the 4000 block of South Interstate 35, near Ben White Boulevard. The owner of the car saw the man and yelled, causing the man to run away toward campus, the American-Statesman reports.

The car’s owner reported to police that the man appeared to have a gun in the waistband of his shorts.

St. Edward’s was alerted by APD, UPD Interim Police Chief Dan Beck said.

“At that time, we met with the Austin Police Department officers, and continued to search and to set a perimeter here on campus,” Beck said.

UPD alerted students at approximately 1:15 p.m., today, of a man with a stolen gun in a wooded area by the Interstate 35 frontage road, adjacent to campus.

The man was later seen, near the baseball field, around 1:49 p.m., heading west, according to a St. Edward’s University police alert. UPD had asked everyone to stay indoors while the search continued.

Any suspicious activity should be reported to UPD at 512-448-8444.

Today’s events come one day after an alleged assault at the track. The suspect was not caught, and police said they don’t have reason to believe the incidents are related.

“The police department has a heighten level of concern and we’ve taken additional steps, such as increasing our patrols,” Beck said.

As for finals, the university will be working with students and faculty on rescheduling tests and assignments, according to Residence Life.

“Do not worry about attending class at the moment. Please shelter in place,” Residence Life wrote in an email to students.

Academic Affairs Executive Assistant Jill Webster said an email will be sent out to all of faculty regarding finals. 

“We [Academic Affairs] are looking into what we can do to get people’s finals rescheduled.”

In an email to students, after the lockdown was lifted, the university announced final exams will resume at 5 p.m. Exams that were interrupted today, from 1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m., will be made up sometime in January, after the start of the spring semester.

Students with concerns or questions should contact their instructor. 

Stay with Hilltop Views as the story develops.