Religious diversity on campus prompts discussion about Islamic holiday

A St. Edward’s University student, who requested to stay anonymous, voiced her frustrations about having multiple exams on the day of Eid-Ul-Adha, an Islamic holiday, on Facebook.

In the post, which has since been taken down, the student said that she would “rather spend my Eid going to prayer and enjoying it with my community rather than studying for a math, computer science and American history exam on the same day.”

She also requested that the university put measures in place to allow her and other Muslims to “either do our exams before or after Eid — not on the same day.”

The university is getting more religiously diverse as the years pass, said James Puglisi, associate director of Campus Ministry.

Campus Ministry has several programs in place to promote religious diversity. The university is even one of only 250 academic institutions chosen to participate in President Barack Obama’s Interfaith Challenge to encourage a focus on interfaith programming at these institutions.

Puglisi defended the university’s dedication to religious diversity.

“We don’t get every Catholic holiday off,” he said. “Christmas falls outside of the academic calendar so Easter is the only Christian holiday where classes are cancelled. That’s historical from a time when the university was predominantly Catholic students going to school here.

Campus Ministry’s mission to promote religious diversity, however, does not include instituting religious holidays into the academic calendar. That aspect of religious diversity is under the jurisdiction of Academic Affairs.

The issue of implementing holidays, religious or not, into the academic calendar is a process that can take many years to finalize.

Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs Molly Minus explained that the process starts with a written proposal to the Academic Council for undergraduates and Graduate Council for graduates since it is an attendance policy that could potentially affect all students.

Students who wish to create a proposal must work with the Student Government Association. The formal proposal then goes to the Board of Directors who meets only three times a year.

As of now, no proposals have been submitted regarding adding any Muslim holidays to the academic calendar.

Attendance policies are typically left for professors to determine on the first day of class. Students are expected to communicate their request for an absence to their professors as early as possible in order for the professor to honor the request. But professors are not obligated by any policy to honor these religious holiday requests.

Muslim students account for only 2.3 percent of St. Edward’s undergraduate student population, according to preliminary data from Institutional Research.

Some students believe that the small Muslim population justifies not having the holiday.

“If Muslim students in the school are a majority then they should give us excuse,” said sophomore Muteb Jumaiah, who is a Muslim. “We are not a majority of students, so I don’t think is an issue.”

Allowing a day off from school seems like a stretch to some students.

“I would love to have Eid off from school, but I understand that it is not a practical option,” said Mahnoor Nadim, Muslim Students Association president. “It doesn’t make sense to give everybody a day off for an event only a hundred people are celebrating on a campus of thousands.”