St. Edward’s gets its first fashion magazine

Fall is upon us at St. Edward’s University, and what better way to welcome the new season then with a brand new organization dedicated to covering fashion and style on campus? The launch of the new fashion magazine on campus, Cabra, took place just a few weeks ago when Editor-in-Chief junior Ysenia Valdez finally got her idea approved to be active on campus.

Where did the idea for a fashion magazine come from?

“I feel like there was never really anything on campus that I felt was my own thing. I noticed that everyone dresses nicely and cares about their appearance on this campus, and I didn’t understand why this wasn’t already a thing,” Valdez said.

The word “cabra” means “goat” in Spanish. Named after St. Edward’s mascot, the Hilltopper, Cabra seems to be a simple and original title for this magazine.

Valdez said that the idea to start a fashion magazine on campus first came to her during the Spring semester of last year.

“It was a long process, but the ROC (Recognized Organizations Council) office really helped me out a lot. I had to wait until this year to do paperwork and get a table at involvement fai,” Valdez said.

Now that the ball is rolling, Cabra has had two meetings for members this semester, and the team is looking to create a successful publication they can be proud of.

“This magazine is really for anyone who is creative and likes to express themselves creatively,” Cabra Managing Editor sophomore Katinka Barragan said.

St. Edward’s is a campus where students often express their own style. Unlike most universities, the tight-knit community of our campus allows more room for noticing others’ style expression. Cabra’s mission is to serve as a “catalyst of creative ideas and concepts that express the community of the school,” Valdez said.

When asked whether Valdez defined herself by her fashion, she questioned the term.

“Yes and No. I think using the word fashion creates limits, so I would say style. Style is more individualistic,” she said.

Barragan answered similarly.

“Fashion is basically clothing. Style is the way you determine it. It is something that I use to express myself,” Barragan said.

Valdez described her style as “classic, minimal and monochromatic with individuality,” while Barragan said hers is “dark, modern and edgy.”

If you are interested in this new campus organization, Cabra will be holding interviews at the beginning of each semester.

“You apply by interest,” Valdez said. “If you have interest in the magazine, interest in style or fashion, apply. Even if you aren’t interested in those things, but you’re willing to be committed, apply. This magazine is very student oriented.”