South Congress H-E-B changes hours of operation due to review of costs

The H-E-B on Oltorf is no longer open 24 hours, leaving students with one less nearby late-night shopping option.

Effective July 13, the store started closing at 1 a.m. A spokeswoman for H-E-B said that the change comes “after a review of customer shopping patterns,” according to the Austin American-Statesman.

Similarly, the Wal-Mart on Ben White Boulevard now closes at midnight, leaving students who frequent these stores unable to shop late at night.

“It sucks because you don’t have that [H-E-B and Wal-Mart] as a choice any time you want to go,” freshman Eduardo Cano said.

The announcement that H-E-B would no longer be 24 hours came shortly after a woman was attacked by a man while walking to her car.

“Something happened for [H-E-B] to want to change [its hours of operation],” Sierra Fredenrich, a sophomore at St. Edward’s University and a cashier at H-E-B said in regard to the policy change at H-E-B.

Last May, a woman had her throat slashed by Edward Bennett at 1:30 a.m., while on H-E-B store property.

“Sometimes people slip through the cracks,” Fredenrich said of the victim of the crime that occurred at H-E-B over the summer. “Preventing it … it’s really difficult to do that, so I guess shutting store hours to a minimal is probably going to make it easier for women, even for men to walk around so they’re not subjected to anything.”

Store-goers may now be able to feel more secure while shopping at these restricted hours, but for some, the new policies are seen as a nuisance.

“It could be [an inconvenience] if I needed something urgently,” sophomore Alissa Barber said.

H-E-B’s new hours may pose problems for night owl students who want to shop late, but  they still have proximate options.