Suspect charged, arrested for recent sexual assault

St. Edward’s University Police have arrested the suspect involved with last week’s on-campus sexual assault.

Gerson Sevilla, 24, was taken into custody this afternoon and is being held at the Travis County Jail. Sevilla was charged with sexual assault, a second-degree felony. The felony carries a sentence of up to 20 years in prison, and Sevilla could face a fine of up to $10,000. He had no prior arrests or convictions for sexual assault. Sevilla is not a student.

Mischelle Diaz, St. Edward’s director of communications, and university police Chief Rudolph Rendon both confirmed that a warrant was issued and Sevilla was arrested.

The bond is set at $30,000, according to the affidavit.

According to the affidavit, the student invited Sevilla over to watch a movie and eat pizza. Sevilla tried to have sex with her and when the student told him she did not want to, he ignored her.  

After the student notified UPD about the assault, she was taken to St. David’s Hospital to take a sexual assault forensic exam. The exam showed the student had injuries, according to the affidavit.

Sevilla told officers on Friday that he was confused about why the student said no, because he claimed they had sex in the past 10 days, according to the affidavit.

“When I asked Sevilla if he felt he did something wrong … Sevilla answered ‘Yes, because she didn’t want to,’” according to the affidavit.

The affidavit says that a protective order is being sought. The order will require Sevilla to be at least 200 feet away from the student and have no contact with her.

The assault was reported Friday to UPD.