New workshops offer students comprehensive career guidance

The Career and Professional Development Office hosts many workshops and on-campus recruitments while offering students one-on-one career counseling, career drive-throughs, resume critiquing services and online resources. 

Workshops about jump-starting your internships and building a professional resume are offered at various times throughout the semester, and beginning in February, several more workshops will be added: applying to graduate programs, building your online presence and conducting general job searches.

The workshops were created as an outlet for getting important information out to students without them having to come into the office and schedule an appointment.

As the semi-annual Job and Internship Fair, which will be held on March 25 from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m., approaches, the Career and Professional Development Office will offer workshops specifically about how to work a job fair.

“It is a very weird, kind of scary thing — probably — for a lot of folks who have never been to one before, like how do I have to dress, and I don’t know how do to go introduce myself, and how do I research ahead of time and should I bring resumes,” Director of the Career and Professional Development Office Ray Rogers said.

Along with the workshops, there will also be a job fair prep party hosted in conjunction with Student Life and the Transitional Experiences Council. 

The party is one of the “Getting To Real Life” series events offered by Student Life. 

“We’re going to have a station out here (in the Moody Hall Lobby) and we’re inviting employers in to help us with critiquing your resume. Another one is going to be ‘Practice your 30 Second Elevator Pitch’: how to share what’s appropriate. Another one’s going to be ‘Dress for Success’, and the fourth one, which we just added, is going to be a LinkedIn headshot photo booth, so that you have a professional photo for (your) LinkedIn profile,” Rogers said. 

Students can take an online course, “Part Time Jobs to Internships,” to learn the next step in their professional career. 

“It is designed for students who are in a part-time job, or they could be in an internship on or off campus, who want to sort of learn how to use what (they’re) learning here, put that on a resume or a LinkedIn profile, (and) reflect upon it to understand what (their) next step is going to be,” Rogers said. 

New this semester is a weekly newsletter, which will provide students with the latest information about upcoming workshops, sessions and news. 

“It’s hard to market to students because (they) have a thousand things flying at (them) wherever (they) go. We wanted to create a single space where students could get all important dates and information,” Rogers said. “It’s more of a bulletin — we’ve got all of our (information) listed there.”

The first issue was released Jan. 19, and the newsletter still needs a name.

Current students have the opportunity to name the newsletter and win a $50 gift card. 

Contest entries will be accepted until Feb. 4 by 5 p.m. and can be submitted to [email protected]

Contest entries will be accepted until Feb. 4 by 5 p.m. and can be submitted to [email protected].