Fundraising group offers serenades until Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner.

To celebrate, Habitat for Humanity’s Global Village Team is providing serenades for anyone on campus. The proceeds will go to help build houses in the Dominican Republic.

On Friday, the serenading group will be performing one of five song choices for anyone on campus, as well as delivering boxes of chocolates, personalized Valentine and sweet messages on behalf of Habitat for Humanity. It will cost $20.

“The singers will come to a pre-decided location, so inside an office, a dorm room,” said Holly Carter, director of the Office of International Education. “We can’t go into a classroom during the class.”

Song choices include: “Just The Way You Are” by Bruno Mars, “Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You” by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, “I Want to Hold Your Hand” by The Beatles, “Lucky” by Jason Mraz, and “All My Life” by K-Ci and JoJo.

“The funds go directly towards building materials and not only the houses we’re building this year, but also future houses we’re building,” senior Rebeca Licona said.

Singers and guitarist include sophomores Michelle Zapata, Rae Plaza, and Mark Spinks.

Habitat for Humanity will be performing serenades on campus in half hour increments on Friday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m, the day before Valentine’s Day.

“It’s first come, first serve and I think it is going to be an amazing success, so we would recommend that everyone books early,” Carter said.

Students can place a serenade order at the front desk in the Office of International Education (Moody Hall 102) where there is a time availability sheet. Topper Tender is accepted.

For more information call 512-428-1051 or email [email protected]