Freshman makes strides in poetry, starts new club on campus

Remember the name Natalie Sizemore. One day, her name will appear on the cover of her very own book of poetry, or so she hopes.

Sizemore, a freshman English and literature major with a political science minor, spends many days journaling poetry.

“I used to write only when I felt truly inspired, but now I try to write purely for the sake of writing. That may seem like I don’t care, but I feel like you gain more with practice,” Sizemore said.

She is not working to be the next Dr. Seuss. Instead, Sizemore has a more personal story to tell through her poetry.

“I appreciate rhyming poetry, but I’m not very good at that so I tend not to mess with that,” Sizemore said.

Sizemore’s mostly free verse poems are tied directly to her own life.

“Most of my inspiration comes from the people around me, especially the people I care about. They are about my experiences or feelings toward the people that I love,” Sizemore said.

People are not the only source of inspiration for Sizemore. “I like writing about inanimate objects because they remind me of things that are very much alive,” Sizemore said.

The transition to college has also impacted Sizemore’s work. “I feel like this past year especially, being around so many talented people, I’ve become more critical about my own writing,” Sizemore said.

The inspiration and critiques have begun to pay off for Sizemore. 

Her poem “Architecture,” which was written in October 2013 and inspired by her best friends, was selected to be featured in the upcoming issue of the Sorin Oak Review. “I was happy and humbled to find out,” Sizemore said. 

Becoming a published poet has expanded Sizemore’s audience beyond her close friends and family. “Sorin Oak will be distributed to people that I would never just show my work to,” Sizemore said.

Sizemore seeks to take her passion another step further. She is currently in the process of starting a poetry club on campus. 

“There is already a huge poetry community in Austin. I think that extending this to campus would be hugely beneficial,” Sizemore said.

As for right now, Sizemore has more personal goals for herself. 

“I just hope to keep creating poetry that I feel satisfied with and that I feel is an honest expression of my thoughts and feelings.”

To read Sizemore’s first published poem and other great poetry, prose and visual art by talented St. Edward’s students, pick up a copy of St. Edward’s Sorin Oak Review, coming out later this year.