Student’s tattoo serves as reminder to forgive and forget

Topper Tats scours St. Edward’s University to bring you the stories behind the most creative, the most meaningful and the most what-was-I-thinking tattoos inked on our students.

Austin native Briana Terry knew she wanted her gorgeous elephant piece since her freshman year of high school, and she finally got it done for her 18th birthday at Platinum Ink.

Terry, who is a freshmen and a graphic design major, began designing the piece herself after a lifelong obsession with elephants. I noticed her beautiful ink (located on her forearm) upon first meeting her, but never really inquired much about any sort of meaning.

Terry went on to explain that an upward facing elephant trunk is a sign of good luck.

“I got the hourglass with the idea of life going on –forgive and forget — that sort of thing,” Terry said. 

Terry also explained how she sometimes struggles with both concepts. She explained that elephants themselves have amazing memories and remember everything, which is interestingly ironic.

The leaves were included to help with future cohesion as she adds to her piece. Terry was originally against the idea of color, but the artist who tattooed her mentioned that color would make it easier to add on to her piece later on. Terry plans on eventually extending her single tattoo into a full sleeve, and her sister is currently drawing an extension to build off her elephant focal point, making it a family affair.

Terry’s tattoo was done in one sitting, and she said it was a great experience overall complete with interesting people, good music and a chill atmosphere.

If anyone were to tell Terry she should stray away from tattoos, Terry would not change her mind about them. 

“I personally like art, tattoos — they’re a form of art. They are beautiful. A lot of people are judgmental, but I love mine. People always compliment me and I’m just like ‘aw thanks.’ It makes my day,” Terry said.