Chapel to undergo restorations

Construction for the renovation and expansion of Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel is expected to start at the beginning of February and be completed by mid-August, Associate Vice President of Facilities Michael Peterson said.   

While campus ministry is looking forward to the new facilities and the opportunities the new space will bring, they are becoming more comfortable in their interim space and continuing to look for ways to connect with students. 

“The difference is that we’ve gone on the road,” Director of Campus Ministry Rev. Peter Walsh said. 

Since the beginning of the Fall 2013 semester, campus ministry has been operating primarily out of their space on the third floor of Doyle. Instead of holding Mass in the chapel, they are holding services in Jones auditorium. However, these alterations have not changed campus ministry’s mission, only their approach. 

“It’s harder for students to find us, so we need to be a little more visible,” Walsh said. “We hang out in the coffee shop and see students there. We go to a basketball game and see students there. We are a little bit more intentional about being visible outside of our office space, which has been really good for us.”

Although major construction has not begun on the project, St. Edward’s University and campus ministry have been working with a local design firm, Pollen Architecture & Design, as well as various contractors to develop and revise plans for the new space. 

“Over the holidays, some additional architectural details and refinements were made to the drawings,” Peterson said.

Plans for restoring Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel include removing the current carpeting and paneling to expose the original wood floor and walls, some of which are over 100 years old. Contractors have plans to restore the exterior structure, bring in additional seating and open up the chapel to natural light. 

“I think it’ll be a real beautiful spot,” Walsh said. “It’ll be a nice way to rethink that space and bring it back into what it was like before.” 

The project also includes a 1,750 square-foot wing for campus ministry’s office and community space connected to the chapel, and a meditation garden composed of a series of decks and sitting areas.

The meditation garden was designed specifically for St. Edward’s students with the hopes of providing students with a natural space to develop their spiritual life, regardless of their particular faith.   

“It’s more for students to find a little place to escape to, where you can just sit and think and get your head clear,” Walsh said. “It’ll be a visible reminder to people of the importance of the spiritual life on campus.”

Senior religious and theological studies major Chandler Sager has experienced first-hand the value of having physical space to foster spiritual community and worship. 

“I remember many a night where friends and I would stay up into the wee hours of the morning (in Mang House) laughing and learning,” Sager said. “I hope that the new chapel also instills a sense of wonder and a deep yearning for spiritual growth much like the old chapel did.”

While students and staff look forward to interacting with these new spaces, campus ministry encourages students to seek them out or simply stop by to say hi.   

“It’s not as easy to find us, but it’s absolutely worth seeking out,” Walsh said.

When construction begins on the project in February, the sidewalk between Mang House and Our Lady Queen of Peace Chapel will be rerouted, Peterson said. Additionally, St. Joseph Hall Road will be closed later in the semester as construction progresses, causing detours.