One St. Edward’s, two Austin campuses

Students may know that St. Edward’s is linked to other Holy Cross institutions such as Notre Dame University or the University of Portland, but what students may not know is that there is another St. Edward’s campus right here in Austin.

The other campus is called the Professional Education Center and is often referred to as the North campus. It is located near the Arboretum at 9420 Research Blvd., Echelon III, Suite 200. The campus has been open since 2001 and serves many students who are working adults.

Lizett Gutierrez, a sophomore at St. Edward’s, had no idea that another campus existed.

“But it makes sense if some professors or students who live in North Austin are not able to drive south,” Gutierrez said.

The North campus offers classes for graduate and New College students. The center also offers non-credit professional education courses. New College is a St. Edward’s program geared towards adults who want to pursue an undergraduate degree. The professional education courses teach students professional skills such as software or business management skills.

All of the courses offered cater to adults who are already working and may need flexibility with their schedules. There are many night classes offered and the campus is located in North Austin for the convenience of the students.

Dr. Helene Caudill, dean of New College, has been working at St. Edward’s for 11 years, five of which she spent teaching at the North campus.

“The North campus provides us with a way to offer a quality St. Edward’s University education without requiring students to travel to the south side of town,” Caudill said.