In The College Kitchen with Jenna: Mac and Cheese

Staff Blogger

Now that Thanksgiving is over, you’ve probably run out of leftovers right around the same time you began to panic about the week ahead. Seriously though, St. Ed’s … one week between Thanksgiving break and finals? Poor planning in my opinion, but there’s not much we can do. I always say, “Fortunately, feelings are edible.” So this week I will help you eat your feelings with this delicious, quick and easy macaroni and cheese recipe.

Mac and cheese has always been my favorite dish. I used to eat the kraft boxed kits like there was no tomorrow, but somewhere along the way I started to feel like I could taste the powder. This recipe is almost as easy and cheaper than you think. This recipe takes about 30 minutes, feeds about 3 people for an entrée and 5 or so if served as a side, and the most expensive ingredient would be the cheese at  $2.52—treat yourself.

Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients

1 (8oz.) pkg of uncooked elbow macaroni

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) of butter or margarine

1/4 cup of all purpose flour

1 1/2 cups of milk

1 tsp salt

2 cups (8oz.) shredded cheddar cheese—I encourage you to blend all of the cheeses leftover in your fridge to see what happens. Please send me your comments on the results.

Directions

1. Cook macaroni according to package directions, and then drain and set aside.

2.  In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add flour, stirring until smooth, and cook an additional 1 minute, stirring constantly.

3. Turn up the stove to medium heat and gradually add milk. Continue stirring until thickened and bubbly.

4. Add salt and cheese, stir until cheese melts.

5. Stir macaroni into sauce and cook an additional 5 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

This was super yummy and easy. I actually made this for dinner as I simultaneously prepared the baked potato casserole I blogged about last week. Great for inviting friends over for study session, or to keep all for yourself. And it keeps well—so eat it for lunch the next day or as a midnight snack.

Happy Studying!