Holy Cross tradition connects St. Edward’s to Golden State

In recent years, St. Edward’s University has seen an influx of students coming from California. Since 2008, the new students from California has jumped from four students to 38 students in 2013. In this year’s freshman class, California is the second largest geographic location of incoming students behind Texas.

This increase of newcomers from the Golden State is no mistake, according to Dinah Kinard associate director of admissions.

“For 10 years, admission counselors have worked hard to identify schools and students that are potentially a good fit for St. Edward’s and, more broadly, to increase our name recognition and profile in the state of California and other states,” Kinard said.

One reason for the recruiting focus in California, Kinard mentioned, is because of the large presence of Holy Cross high schools in the state. 

Freshman Lisa Machado was attracted to St. Edward’s because of its Holy Cross tradition and said that St. Edward’s was a good fit for her because of her familiarity with the congregation of the Holy Cross and its mission.

“The whole mission of St. Edwards in general is just really similar to what I used to have at Moreau,” said Machado whose high school,  Moreau, is in Hayward, Calif. outside of San Francisco.

Freshman Jonathan Cruz agrees with Machado. He feels comfortable at St. Edward’s because of its Holy Cross mission, and he said there are many similarities between the mission of St. Edward’s University and that of Notre Dame high school, where he attended, in Panorama City, Calif. However, at St. Edward’s the mission has a broader scope.

“Here it’s [the mission] on a grander scale. You get to do more than just with your high school. You get to do global stuff,” Cruz said.

Claire Dennard, admissions counselor for recruitment in Los Angels, said that the increased student population from the Golden State can be attributed to what she calls “the power of one.” 

She explained that sometimes all it takes for a school to get on prospective students’ radars is for one student to share a good experience at a particular school like St. Edward’s with people back home.

Admissions counselor Leora Rockowitz presented a similar analysis, and also added that the growing financial crisis in the state education system in California is another element playing into the college choices of Californians. Students  are needing to consider finances into consideration when they decide to apply to California schools because of steadily rising tuition rates, according to Rockowitz.

Cruz, who applied to three schools in the University of California system, said that he was forced to cede his interest in attending California state schools because of the unfavorable fiscal reality. 

“I didn’t necessarily want to go there, because it’s so expensive,” he said. “You pay so much money just to get in.”

Over the past couple decades, the California state education  system has faced problems rooted in a faltering financial situation but has extended beyond a stained pocket book. 

Budget cuts have led to larger class sizes, fewer academic advisors, and, most recently, cutbacks in the number of assignments required due to the lack of funds to pay grading assistants, according to Rockowitz.

Austin’s appeal also has influenced an increased interest from out-of-state students.

“I fell in love with the city, and I just wanted to be here,” Cruz said.