Poetry professor soon to publish second book

When asked what it means to be a poet, professor Carrie Fountain’s response was simple: “It means that I write poems.”

Her first book of poetry, Burn Lake, was published by Penguin and was the 2009 National Poetry Series winner. Now, Penguin has picked up her second book, which will be released in October 2014.

“Like many poets, I write to try and figure out the experience of being alive,” Fountain said.

Carrie Fountain received her B.A. in Theatre and English from New Mexico State University in 1998. She then came to Austin to attend the University of Texas, where she achieved her MFA in Poetry at The James A. Michener Center for Writers.

Marie Howe, another American poet, said in a review for Fountain’s first book: “I sat down to take a quick look at Carrie Fountain’s book and suddenly an hour had passed. Then I noticed I’d dog-eared almost every page I’d read. I’m stunned by the power of these poems. Here’s all the real trouble we’re in: death and time and pain – held in a clear crisp collection that seems made of joy. More than a dozen times I laughed out loud. How is this possible? Burn Lake is a miracle.”

Coming from a small town, Fountain says that it was incredibly unlikely for her to get into poetry. She started in high school. Today, as a mother, professor, wife and writer, she says that it’s difficult to balance all of those things together.

“I developed a system of waking up at 5 a.m. every morning to write,” Fountain said. “If I didn’t do that, I wouldn’t get around to writing later on because I’ve become so busy.”

Maria Minor, a junior at St. Edward’s, is a student of professor Fountain.

“Her focus and emphasis on clarity has shaped me as a writer. She never fails to remind me that how a poem reads on a page is just as important as how it sounds being performed,” Minor said.

One piece of advice she would give to any aspiring poet comes from one of her favorite quotes by Ted Kooser: “A poet should read 30 poems for every one poem they write.” Fountain is a firm believer in reading as much poetry as you can if you want to improve. She says reading other people’s writing is a great way to better your own.

Carrie says that emerging poets never fail to excite her.

“Seeing a young poet develop makes writing and teaching worth it,” Fountain said.