Living on limited budget easy in Austin

The challenge: go to class, study, have fun, eat and spend as little money as possible doing it. But how?

For starters, if you do not frequent a place called a grocery store, you are doing it wrong. Unless, of course, you possess a giant freshman meal plan. If that is the case, it is a waste of money not to munch on the on-campus options, even if they get old or disrupt your digestive system a little. However, for the students who do not have to eat on the whims of Bon Appétit, go to a grocery store. There is one less than a mile away from campus, which is biking distance. And do not forget your bags, because that is a wasted few dollars here and there.

There are particular conditions in which a college student should shop for food. Planning is key. Waiting until the absolute last second is not the time to go. An empty fridge yields an empty stomach, and an empty stomach yields a hungry college student who suddenly thinks buying everything from the store is necessary.

Grocery stores are much less busy during the day, but this is only during the week. To waste less time, go before class or during a break. If at all possible, eat a substantial breakfast or lunch and then shop.

This is cliché, but make a list and plan your meals. Buying perishable foods on a whim will lead to waste, of both food and money; it is money you could have spent on something fun.

Speaking of fun, there are many free or low-cost ways to have fun in or around Austin in nature. Go hiking or biking on the Green Belt. Check out constantly-changing graffiti art on Castle Hill. Take a run or walk with friends on the path around Town Lake. Have a picnic in Zilker Park. Go swim in Hamilton Pool, in lake Austin by Mansfield Damn, or in Pedernales River on Reimer’s Ranch. All of these are totally free.

There is also the always-favorite Barton Springs Pool. It costs three dollars to go, but if you want to save your pocket change for later in the night, there is always the dog park side.

The dog park side of Barton Springs is free admission, and pretty nice as well, if you don’t mind sharing the water with some canines. It also gives you the opportunity to play with and fawn over dogs of all types.

However, proceed with caution. Do not buy a dog! Dogs are like babies, and they cost a lot of money.