Photocommunications students exhibit work

Although the various photos ranged in size, composition, subject, color and theme, each student contributed their own work to the exhibit and created a unified and coherent presentation.

On March 22, seniors from the photocommunications department exhibited chosen works in Senior Photography Senior Show.

Some of the exhibited pieces include three massive yet beautifully detailed photos, images of fabulous drag queens with/sans makeup projected on lockets, and large print of a portrait.

The entire show was created and produced by the senior student artists. Each student was assigned a specific job title and description to fulfill for the show. The student artists decided deadlines and divided into committee to better execute specific tasks. Chris Evans served as the coordinator.

“It takes something special to be brave enough to show your work. Taking that step is being an artist. I would hate to find that I limited someone in any way,” Evans said. “My job is to be present when people are concerned. I feel like I was herding cats, but it felt good. I felt like I have a relationship with people in my class.”

Though Evans was placed in charge, the students ultimately possessed complete agency over their exhibited works. Additionally, students decided how many pieces they would present.

For example, Javier Aguilar and Brian M. John created the website associated with the show. The website maintained the cohesive, contemporary theme found in the gallery exhibit.

“I think every student should have the ability to choose what they show, especially if it represents them and what they’ve done,” Aguilar said. “For me, I’ve always been creating, but I’ve never presented… Presenting is the next step.”

An incredibly impressive aspect of the show was the presentation of the work both as individual works of art and the entire cohesion of the show.

If you stood at either door of the gallery, there was undeniably streamlined look to the show. It was crisp and fresh. Though none of the pieces matched in content, somehow the entire show was cohesive. Nothing seemed out of place even though no piece looked like the other.

The deliberate placement of each piece worked exquisitely to help maintain the contemporary vibe of the entire gallery. Evans said the students came together to decide specific rules in order to ensure cohesion of the gallery.

Kelly Zhu decided to exhibit photographs she took two years ago for her Large Camera final. Her piece, entitled “Canopy,” was three photos printed on canvas paper. The captured images were human bodies with naturalistic textures. 

She hand wrapped each image around three separate wooden bars. She said she wanted to give the photographs texture. Zhu learned this technique by watching YouTube videos. She admits that she meticulously watched the videos as she wrapped her pieces.

“It is probably my best work… it is detailed and visually interesting to me,” Zhu said. “I am attached to my piece. I’m proud of it… I felt that it should be seen.”   

The exhibit allowed student artists to truly explore what photocommunications was as an art form. During each interview, the students 

Outside of the actual gallery, Berkeley Beauchot exhibited a self-described “semi-performance piece.” She displayed five self portraits on five different white and pink cakes. During the gallery opening, she allowed the audience to eat pieces of the cakes about an hour into the show. To her, “the actual viewer is gonna consume the image.”

All of the cakes display Beauchot roughly up to her waist. Of the five self-portraits, only one gaze is not connected in the lens. In one portrait, Beauchot is wearing a silky robe while in another she is wearing a very pale pink tank top where the outline of her nipples are subtly visible. Beauchot admits the sexual current and hint of eroticism within her pieces; however, she explains that her piece is explorative. She seeks to explore vulnerability and desirability of a woman, but she uses herself as the subject.  

“This is how I feel in my life… There is a craving with where I am in my life. It is about being wanted by someone else,” Beauchot said. “This where I am in my creative process and career now… I took visceral feelings and put them in visual form.”

Like with any form of art, it is impossible for the artist to control how the audience interprets, accepts and discusses their pieces.

Walter Long exhibited a piece that was a full frontal self-portrait. To some it would seem erotic despite him not being erect. Long acknowledges this possible issue, but refused to censor himself.

“Putting a naked picture of yourself for everyone to see is stressful in a way. I don’t find it erotic… It is very dry, but maybe someone will,” Long said. “I think describing my message would be dangerous… I want people to come to their own conclusion.”

The gallery exhibit will close at the end of week on April 11.