Dual degree program introduced by university, partner school

Students studying abroad at Asia Pacific University in Japan travel across the country.

Undergraduates at St. Edward’s University and Asia Pacific University can enroll in a dual degree program in Fall 2013 and divide study in two countries.

“I think this is an amazing opportunity to become immersed in two cultures. The personal and professional benefits are almost too numerous to imagine,” said Russell Frohardt, the interim dean of the School of Behavioral and Social Sciences.

This dual degree program will be offered for students majoring in International Business, Global Studies or Environmental Science and Policy. Students majoring in one of these three programs will have the opportunity to spend half of their years at St. Edward’s University and half at Asia Pacific University (APU) to complete their degrees.

The dual degree program is open to both St. Edward’s students and Asia Pacific students. St. Edward’s students would study here in Austin their first year and then study in Beppu, Japan at APU for their next two years. Students would then return back to Austin for their senior year, Frohardt said.

Students from APU would do exactly the opposite. They would study at their home campus for a year, attend St. Edward’s their sophomore and junior year and then return to APU for their final year, Frohardt said.

Each university will provide faculty for the courses taught at their respective university, said Marsha Kelliher, dean of the School of Management and Business.

“[However], there might be some collaborative efforts between professors from both universities when it comes to senior projects and Capstone,” Frohardt said.

The courses at APU will be taught in English, but students would also acquire Japanese language skills while participating in the program.

“Probably the most important aspect of successful business endeavors in other countries are the language and culture of the country. Living and studying in Japan is simply the best way to learn these skills,” said Bill Clabby, the associate vice president for Global Initiatives. “Studying at APU in Japan may be one of the best environments in Japan to learn about working in Japan, because their campus is truly international, with 55 percent Japanese students and 45 percent non-Japanese students.”

And by the end of the student’s college career, they will have received a degree from both universities, said Clabby.

Frohardt said that APU received a government grant from Japan, which further developed the partnership between St. Edward’s and APU.

The International Business program has already had a history of sending students abroad to APU.

“There have been over 130 students coming to and from St. Edward’s in the past year alone,” said Clabby.

St. Edward’s and APU have already been working together for awhile and are continuing to further this partnership.

“It is a big commitment to study in another country for two years of your college career, but in an increasingly global economy and community, graduates with this kind of experience will be extremely desirable to industry, government, non-profits and communities all over the world,” said Frohardt.