Local all-night establishments provide students study spaces

As the semester draws to a close, you are likely finding yourself pulling more and more all-nighters while getting ready for finals. If you are tired of working in the labs on campus or studying in your dorm room or apartment, take the chance to study somewhere new at one of Austin’s many 24/7 coffee shops and restaurants. 

Strange Brew

One of the closest 24-hour study spaces to campus, Strange Brew, is also one of the most popular places to crank out an essay at 2 a.m. The coffee house has ample space for seating, studying and charging your laptop. Strange Brew features a range of local coffee from Third Coast Coffee, as well as espressos and specialty brews for that much-needed late-night shot of caffeine. Strange Brew can also curb your craving for any midnight snack, whether it is for a milkshake, cookies, sausage wraps or a sandwich. And if you manage to pull an all-nighter, Torchy’s Tacos will be there to greet you with the sunrise.

Strange Brew is located at 5326 Manchaca Rd.

Bennu 24-Hour

Located close to the University of Texas campus on the East Side, Bennu 24-Hour Coffee Lounge is a short drive or bus ride away. Cozy, eclectic and mellow with low lighting and comfy chairs, Bennu is probably better suited for relaxing during study breaks than actually studying. But the coffee house has plenty of drinks and snacks to grab while cramming for finals. Bennu serves French press coffee and gourmet mochas as well as the basics, all from organic and Fair Trade vendors. Also on the menu is local food from Austin favorites like the Green Cart, Torchy’s Tacos and Hoboken Pie. 

Bennu 24-Hour Coffee Lounge is located at 2001 E. MLK Blvd.

Buzz Mill Coffee

Buzz Mill is the newest 24-hour coffee shop in town, first open back in January of this year. It offers a limited coffee menu with staples like drip or cold brew coffee, lattes and espressos at decent prices. Not basic, however, is the decor—ironic mountain-man rustic, complete with a stuffed beaver to watch over any late-night study sessions. Not in the mood for coffee? The Buzz Mill also acts as a bar with about ten craft brews on tap, so you can grab a few beers after finishing up homework.

Buzz Mill Coffee is located on 1505 Town Creek Dr.

Epoch Coffee

Right on eccentric North Loop on the other side of the UT campus is Epoch Coffee, an artsy coffee house decorated with an assortment of vintage lamps and original art. Epoch boasts a menu of hot and iced coffee and lattes, as well as fruit and coffee blended drinks. The coffee shop has plenty of seating indoors and out, and the large patio is a perfect spot for studying in the warm Texas nights during finals week. 

Epoch Coffee is located on 221 W North Loop Blvd.

Kerbey Lane Cafe

If you are more in the mood for pancakes than coffee while studying, Kerbey Lane Cafe is the place to go. All of the locations around Austin are equipped with Wi-Fi and large, comfy booths. Plus, the friendly service at Kerbey Lane will be more than happy to keep the coffee coming if you do decide you want a cup.

The Kerbey Lane Cafes closest to campus are located at 3003 South Lamar, 2606 Guadalupe and 4301 William Cannon.